Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Aussie Burl vendor - in Australia

Looking for Aussie Burl vendor - in Australia

My daughter and SiL are coming from Sydney to TX for a visit and have offered to bring some wood. I have been trying to find an online Aussie vendor where I can buy some burl and have it shipped to their home in Sydney but have so far been unsuccessful. Can anyone suggest a good supplier with reasonable prices that has a web site where I can shop, purchase and ship to Sydney? I hear Red Mallee is going to become very scarce soon so I'm interested in that but will also consider any suggestions.

I"m confused. You say they are coming from Sydney and will bring some wood. So you want to find a vendor to buy some wood and send it to Sydney? Is that correct? Max

Okay, okay, I think I understand now. you want to finf an aussie vendor, buy the wood, have it shipped to them s

please delete my last post. I think I understand now.you want to buy it there, ship it to them so they can bring it to you in Tx. did I get it righr? max.

You could try Neale at Djarilmari in WA. or http://australianburls.com

HTH

Col

Yes Harvey, exactly! S/be less expensive there than here in the US - at least I hope so!

Here is a link to the Australian woodworking forum. You can ask in the woodturning section. Lots of good folks there.

robo hippy

Kelvin If your daughter and SIL dont mind driving to the south western part of Sydney to the suburb of Campbelltown they can pick up red gum burl whole at 1.70 per kg AUD
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campb...bs-/1030293994

The best guy I know lives about 6hrs drive from Sydney and deals by the ton unfortunately
    neil

The wooden Potter

If they bring wood with them in their checked bags, weight could be a consideraton depending how big of pieces you want. But also doesn't the wood have to be declared when they go through customs? I was talking to Glenn Lucas (from Ireland) one time and he said he stopped bringing wood with him because it was such a hassle going thru customs and he has been close to missing connecting flights several times because of the wood and country specific laws dealing with disease or bugs or whatever.

If you can find someone with a lathe to turn a very shallow dish in one side, you can call it a "bowl" and that will/could free up some import issues with customs (or so I have been told.....).
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I've brought wood blanks back from Australia a couple of times successfully in my checked luggage and my carry on. The form you fill out entering the US does not ask about wood products, so I did not see a need to declare the wood and no one ever asked me. I did select prepared turning blanks that were clean (no bark) and waxed so that any inspector would be able to see that there were no bugs inside. The forum Reed is recommending is very helpful - one of their members actually picked me up at my hotel in Brisbane, took me wood shopping, and then gave me a quick tour of the city!

australianburls.com is one of my favorite "go to" websites when I am in the mood to drool all over my keyboard. But the prices... my God the prices! Even without shipping the pricing on these woods is enough to stop the heart...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Here is a link to the Australian woodworking forum. You can ask in the woodturning section. Lots of good folks there.

robo hippy
    Thanks Reed, just realized I joined that forum last year! Will try that if my other sources don't work out!

Quote Originally Posted by neil mackay View Post
    Kelvin If your daughter and SIL dont mind driving to the south western part of Sydney to the suburb of Campbelltown they can pick up red gum burl whole at 1.70 per kg AUD
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campb...bs-/1030293994

The best guy I know lives about 6hrs drive from Sydney and deals by the ton unfortunately
    I'm trying to track down the exact location of that poster, the link says Campbelltown but they also reference Yas which is much further away. Hopefully they will respond soon. Meanwhile I found another post closer in to Sydney that also looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Col Smith View Post
    You could try Neale at Djarilmari in WA. or http://australianburls.com

HTH

Col
    Thanks for the suggestion, I suspect I don't have enough time to get anything from them to Sydney in less than 3 weeks, maybe another time!