Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Saws Run Wrong

Bad Saws Run Wrong

Or why you need to be careful with saw blades

Thin kerf saw blades run in a gang.

I thought I would post this for those of you that have neverseen saws come apart. These were good saw blades; good steel about 0.080" thick.

Broken Saw blades sm 2.jpg
    Broken Saw blades sm.jpgBroken Saw blades sm 3.jpg
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

What does it take to make a blade do that? metal fatigue or did it hit something?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

So not all saw blades are created equal

Could you post some more details about this? What type of saw, what was being done when things went wrong, etc. Your point isn't very clear without the circumstances.

Either those blades are tiny or the shaft was huge. I'll bet the circumstances of failure were something way out of the norm compared to what most here do, and I'm as interested as the others in hearing more.

John

Is the OP saying that because those blades failed in some, as yet, unexplained way that the same thing will happen to all thin kerf blades? Those are obviously not typical table saw blades.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 10-29-2013 at 11:00 AM.

They must have been running on a gang rip saw, where multiple blades are spaced onto a single arbor and fed by a wide chain drive. Since the arbor motor can be upwards of 50-60 HP and the saws are capable of pretty fast feed rates, blades could potentially see a LOT of torque. What exactly happened? They look as though they were installed backwards!
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 10-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    JR

Look to me like they where beaten to death to remove them.

Those were 8” saw blades for a pallet mill. They were run as a gang on a big arbor withcollars.

They were sent to me for analysis. They were the wrong design, very poorly madeand run on poorly maintained equipment. The saws crashed due to a mis-feed.

One saw had a 0.070” plate and another had 0.060”plate. Kerf measured from 0.105” to0.120” but a lot of teeth were missing. It is your call whether that is thin kerf or not.

I mostly put these up because I thought they were interesting. I also thought they did a pretty good job ofshowing the kind of power a saw blade has.

I have been looking at bad saws and failed saws for about 30years trying to figure out how to make better saws. Maybe that has made me toocautious however some folks here recommend thin kerf saw a little more freelythan I do. I amalso hesitant to see a saw blade used in an application for which it was notdesigned.

The two best sources I know of for thin kerf information are:

Bruce Lehmann, Ph. D.
    http://www.thinkerf.com/

John Schultz
    http://www.superthinsaws.com
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

When I saw the photos, I think that it's hopeless.

It sounds to me like the failure was unrelated to the thickness of the plate or saw kerf. With high power, poor maintenance and defective blades, this kind of disaster can happen no matter what the blade geometry. I don't see how this disaster has any applicability to the average woodworker with the exception that it illustrates the need to maintain one's equipment and saw blades properly.

A good thin kerf saw blade can turn a marginally powered saw into a good performer. I consider the risk associated with forcing wood through an underpowered table saw to be greater than any risk associated with using thin kerf blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    It sounds to me like the failure was unrelated to the thickness of the plate or saw kerf. With high power, poor maintenance and defective blades, this kind of disaster can happen no matter what the blade geometry. I don't see how this disaster has any applicability to the average woodworker with the exception that it illustrates the need to maintain one's equipment and saw blades properly.

A good thin kerf saw blade can turn a marginally powered saw into a good performer. I consider the risk associated with forcing wood through an underpowered table saw to be greater than any risk associated with using thin kerf blades.
    Well said. Has anyone ever seen a saw plate fail on a table saw, thin or full kerf ?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Well said. Has anyone ever seen a saw plate fail on a table saw, thin or full kerf ?

John
    I think those of us who have triggered our Sawstops would attest that saw plates don't fall like that.

Gulp!

I think it is good to see what can happen in industrial/commercial applications. Thanks for posting Tom!
    Mike