Thread: Is "The Wood Working Shows" Worth It?

Is "The Wood Working Shows" Worth It?

I really don't mean to offend by asking this and I commend Peachtree for keeping it going at all, however the last time I attended a "The Wood Working Shows" event, I was somewhat disappointed in the number of venders that participated. At some point, I heard that the producers of the show were attempting to make it better. Have they made it better?
    There's a "The Wood Working Shows" in my area coming up soon and I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend. I should be happy that any kind of wood working show is coming to my area, but with all of the online outlets for woodworking info these days, I want to know if this show will be worth my time and $. The shows I used to attend were huge and def worth it. I hope this one will be.

Go take a look at this post, it may answer your question.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...king-Show-quot

I cannot believe I am saying this, but I will probably pass on the one coming to Costa Mesa this year. My rich buddy and I have a tradition of driving down there, engaging in some fine dining at the Jack in the Box, and spending the day, sometimes the whole weekend, there. I have spent a lot of money at shows over the years, but the shows have gotten smaller to the point that Peachtree, Woodline, and a few others are the only places I buy anything at. My last 'big' item was Carter guides three years ago.

Love the demo's I have seen several times, but as Bill said, it is difficult to hear what they are saying, and demo's like INCRA aren't there anymore.

Wish I could say different. If it were closer, I would probably still go.

Rick Potter

EDIT: Just called my rich buddy. He agrees, and we are not going this time.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-30-2013 at 3:44 PM.

I was discussing this with LOML this morning after Bill Huber's previous post and she made a very interesting comment: "Probably the internet has impacted the Woodworking shows as it has impacted most other industries. People can see demos on line with Youtube, and buy it on line just as cheap if not cheaper." Hadn't thought about that, but she has a point, and when you watch a Youtube demo, there's no distractions or loud noises around you...usually. At any rate, it's a consideration.

Blog Entries
    If it were close (less than 10 miles) and free, I might go just for the atmosphere. Can't beat the smell of fresh cut wood and the sound of saws and routers running.
    Seriously, though, I'm in line with Bill. I've probably attended my last tool show.

JIm is a little more restrictive than I, but I echo his thought. I would not mind driving a couple hours (maybe), but I will no longer plan on making a week end of going to the shows. They have turned into smaller versions of what they used to be. I would be more interested if I could actually ask questions of the people that inhabit the booths. Most wood working stores are turning into the same though. They can tell you what aisle Porter Cable products are on, but they can't tell you if one model is better than another if you a making a router table. (Same people are in the booths) I used to use these shows for new ideas and get questions asked.

But those days are gone..

it sure is sad.

The shows

Well I will give it my best. I just called Bryce from the wood working shows to drop a 220 line in the booth so I can run the Hammer A3-31 with the new silent power cutter block and the N4400. I will leave the K3W static. I am ready to make some dust or I guess chips. We are committed to bring some heavy Iron back. We are doing Costa Mesa, Sacramento, Portland and then Denver.

Agreed it's not like the old days when you walked away with a ton of sales. Now it is more for long term customer base building and for those guys that have to put their hands on the machine.

I hope I see some of you guys there.

Carl Knapp

Carl, I'd love to see the Hammer machines up close and personal, as I'm always in the market, but I just don't think it's worth the cost and time it will take for me to get there. I used to go to shows in Costa Mesa that took 2 days to appreciate...first day to walk thru and see it all, then a second day to concentrate on some of the select booths and gear. The last show I went to, it took me about 1/2 hour to walk and another hour to focus in on some key equipment.

I'll be there Saturday morning, Derek, if you change your mind and wanna connect. Shoot me a PM.

I skipped the last one ... and i think the one before that, too, maybe ... Pretty sure the last show I attended was 2010 or 2011. It wasn't huge, but I tend to go for the people more than anything. Lots of friends show up and we hang out and chew the fat some. It's nice for those "once in awhile" friends, you know?

Anyway - I don't know if you care to meet up but thought I'd offer if you were up for it.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I'll be going if only to check listen to some of the instructors. They seem to have a pretty good list this year. The vendor list is no WIA or Fww live but companies like lee valley and microfence make it worth it for me.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/L...aspx?ID=163606

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I'll be there Saturday morning, Derek, if you change your mind and wanna connect. Shoot me a PM.

I skipped the last one ... and i think the one before that, too, maybe ... Pretty sure the last show I attended was 2010 or 2011. It wasn't huge, but I tend to go for the people more than anything. Lots of friends show up and we hang out and chew the fat some. It's nice for those "once in awhile" friends, you know?

Anyway - I don't know if you care to meet up but thought I'd offer if you were up for it.
    Jason, thanks! I appreciate that. That might just tip the scale. I'll let you know how things work out.

Hi Guys,
    I want to thank every one the went to the show. We had a great time making chips and dust. I thought Bryce did a nice job by having most of the center area full with seminars.
    Attached Images Attached Images