Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVAC help please!

HVAC help please!

I've decided that I want central air and heat in the new woodshop, so started shopping for components. You guys helped me find some good sources for new stuff, but I got to wondering about used components to save money.

Long story short, I have found two used Lennox systems that look good in pictures that meet the criteria. Both are natural gas, I'll need to convert to LP, so assuming I can get that done, any advice on checking them out? I'd really like to find out if I'm going to have problems before I get it all installed.

My plan so far is to take the Fluke and check the motors, look for abuse, and just generally see how they look. Pretty primitive, but neither is installed, so I can't see them running.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    but neither is installed, so I can't see them running.
    In the motorcycle business, if it is not running I don't buy it. Else you are buying a "pig in a poke"

Blog Entries
    Just my opinion and I'm no HVAC guru, but I would think that most folks don't replace that type of equipment until the repair costs start approaching cost of new. Not installed and being used, I would stay far, far away.

One big thing I'd be worried about is a cracked heat exchanger. Unless you're tearing the furnace apart it could be difficult to spot a crack.

You could propose what I do when buying a used car... ask the seller if they are willing to have it go into a local repair shop for a "pre-purchase survey" that you'd pay for. If they know it's good they aren't likely to have a problem and you buy a checked out (should be safe) unit.

When dealing with flammable and toxic gasses it may provide you some comfort.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I replaced a Lennox HVAC with another when the 30 year old AC went bad. During the install the installer pointed out and showed me where the old furnace had a crack in the heat exchanger.

As a child we had a house burn down as a result of a gas leak.

People die annually from carbon-monoxide poisoning.

In my home we have a gas water heater and furnace. I do my own carpentry, plumbing and electrical. I hire professionals to do gas anything!

While I did buy a new car for my wife in 2004, my last 3 personal vehicles I bought used.

Personally, I would buy a new HVAC system. It's worth the peace of mind knowing it's less like to have problems today or in the near future.

But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-30-2013 at 6:47 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I will be the lone dissenter, I guess. There are a number of reasons units are pulled from service. Perhaps they were relatively new when it was decided a house would be demolished or relocated, so they were pulled. Perhaps they are newer but a new owner of a building wanted something more efficient. Perhaps they are newer but the new owner of a building owns an HVAC outfit and decided to replace w/ a brand they sell/service.

There are a million reasons why they may be for sale.

I'd determine their age, and figure out whether there is any factory warranty left.

I'd ask the seller(s) why they are for sale, maybe there is a legitimate reason (other than there is a crack in a heat exchanger) for them to be available now.

I put a used AC system in my shop but I knew its history because we took it out of the house and installed a heat pump system. Had I not had a friend who could do the lines, evacuate, and recharge, the cost would have been pretty high to move that system because the contractor really didn't want to get involved lest he get pulled into a mess. It might be even harder to get them to install a used furnace.

Had I bought a complete new HVAC system for the house with a high-seer heat pump and ultra-high-efficiency furnace he was going to move all the stuff to the shop for free other than materials.

The cost of installing HVAC is dependent on the labor of installing the unit, the labor for designing and installing the duct work, the line set, and the refrigerant. The refrigerants are highly regulated by the EPA, can not be discharged into the environment, and need to be installed by a licensed technician. The actual cost of the equipment is sometimes a fraction of the cost of the entire job. Faulty equipment is a nuisance to maintain and customers are never pleased with the costly service charges, costly parts, inconvenience, and discomfort of nonoperational equipment in need of repair. Thus, many HVAC contractors won't install equipment they didn't sell. Additionally, the cost savings probably aren't worth the risk of damaged equipment and the lack of a warranty. I'd look into a new second tier unit such as a Goodman, rather than a used Lennox.

I've got a Goodman bought about six years ago. We have a lot of confidence in our HVAC guy who uses them in his own home. It has worked well. It replaced a Carrier AKA Bryant sold to us buy a crook who left a 2 ton air handler and 2 1/2 ton compressor ,lasted about 6 years.

11. Personally I feel you will be way ahead in the long run with a new unit unless you like to gamble. It will be a crap shoot.

I have bought a used AC unit, but bought it from a HVAC company, who removed it from a house. The furnace I would prefer to have new, but if your hvac guy has a good used unit, and will install it for a really good price, it would probably be ok.

My HVAC designer, installer and chief blamee when the whole thing fails, is myself. I maintain and pretty much understand the pile of machine ac systems on the farm. I haven't come across many things that I can't figure out how to do myself, and HVAC doesn't look like the rocket science they charge for. With that bias, I guess it's safe to say I'm a gambler who like challenges...

Will try to learn as much about the history as possible, thats good advice. Saw a bunch on the upper east coast on craigslist, wonder if Sandy swamped them. Want to avoid that sort of thing for sure.

Just talked to the seller, turns out it has a good history, he bought it used with a warranty, didn't do the project it was intended for though, so it for sale.

+1 for a quality used unit for the shop. Basically buying new ductwork with a free unit. Can always replace the unit when necessary. Must have the ductwork installed before spray insulation.

Craig

I put a new Lennox in a rental house 12 years ago. I replaced it 2 years ago because of repeated failures and outrageous cost for replacement parts. Lennox is not the same company it was 50 years ago. Most of the cost of HVAC is markup and labor. Because of federal regulations, you cannot work with refrigerant without a license, so you must pay someone for that part. If you don't know what you're doing, don't mess with gas, either.

I think the way to go used would be to contact an installer you trust, preferably someone you already know, and ask him to watch out for a unit that will fit your needs. His cost for the equipment might be zero and the labor doesn't have to be that much, especially if it's done on his free time.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary