Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy

Ran across this page, a conversation on handling it on logs...(hope the link is OK mods) http:// www. hearth.com/talk/threads/poison-ivy-on-trunk.17012/
    Last edited by John Keeton; 11-01-2013 at 8:44 AM.

I'm just putting this out there I cannot verify it, but years ago I use to do yard work for a wheelchair bound lady. She was in the service when she was young and she told me when they spent time out in the brush where there was poison ivy or poison oak, when they got done they washed in a vinegar and water solution, 50/50. The vinegar got rid of the poison. I did it when I was young and worked around it and I never got it. Maybe I just became immune to it, but I never had a problem with it after I did as the lady told me.
    "We the People ........"

Steve, good info at that site, but links to other forums are not permitted. I killed the link, but folks can copy/paste the URL in the browser, close up the spaces, and get there anyway.

4. The best thing to do with poison ivy is get far away from it. I have started to itch and break out just reading this thread.

Please pass the calamine and ivy dry!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Mike, I'm not sure what is worse...getting poison ivy, or having dog's fur balls rubbed up against me...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Do NOT burn the vines. The smoke will contain the oils as well. Had a family move into our neighborhood years ago. He promptly started pulling the vines off his trees and piling them up. I gave him the same advice which he ignored. He spent a few days in the hospital over that. I was actually more concerned with his neighbor across the street whose house was right in the path of the smoke. I called them and told them to close up their windows and get out if possible.

If you really get a bad case of it go to the. doctor and get a shot--worth it,s weight in gold. If you can see either ear without a mirror it's bad.

I don't get it either and I've spent days in the stuff. Just drop the logs off here and I'll call you when it's safe.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Robert, I don't mean to be mean, but you need to pay more attention to you capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure. I have to read your posts 3 times to understand them...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Robert, I don't mean to be mean, but you need to pay more attention to you capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure. I have to read your posts 3 times to understand them...
    I understand Robert post first reading
    I not sure if your body will become immune to poison ivy, I could remove its vines using my hands and never had any problems but I could not walk thru. the ivy without catching it

Another vote for "Technu" scrub. It's great for treating a PI rash as well. Another note: normal soap can emulsify the oil and spread it around your body in the shower. Been there. I read that Dawn, which is known for removing oil, is the thing to use if you don't have something specializes like Technu. The Windex and vinegar ideas are probably along the same lines.

Hehe, Ray, I'm not surprised you had no problem reading his post...my response could have just as likely been to you, too. Maybe it is just me, but when words that should be capitalized aren't, when punctuation is missing, and sentences don't have structure, they lose their flow and make for a difficult read.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Hehe, Ray, I'm not surprised you had no problem reading his post...my response could have just as likely been to you, too. Maybe it is just me, but when words that should be capitalized aren't, when punctuation is missing, and sentences don't have structure, they lose their flow and make for a difficult read.
    Mike, Iamsurprisethatyounoticed , tranlate , I am surprise that you noticed , I am better working on a english wheel versus english

I'm 71 years old and a bit goofy from Lymes And Have hell just Typing anything. Thanks for your tolerance and I was shooting 44 mags before you were born. I don't feel I need to define my masculity by my gun calibers.

Has nothing to do with masculinity. Just preference. Funny, I wouldn't judge someone if their go-to was a .22. Just means they don't like loud and kicky. Honestly, if shooting a .44 defines masculinity, then call me effeminate. I don't find them comfortable or fun to shoot...other than their stopping power! You are more of a man than me...apparently...because you just DID define your masculinity by the caliber that you shot.

I know about your Lymes. I don't envy you one bit for it. And wish and pray that I never get it. We have LOTS of deer ticks around here. There are programs that you can install on your computer that will allow you to speak into them so that you don't have to type. That might make it easier on your fingers.
    I drink, therefore I am.