Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used jet 1014 lathe...thoughts?

Used jet 1014 lathe...thoughts?

I am considering getting a small lathe for my workshop. I have looked around online and at a few local shops too. Space is limited and I am not planning on making anything large. I came across a jet 1014. Low-end, yes, but as a beginner I am not sure I am ready to drop a lot of money on something bigger and better. It's almost 10 years old but unused in its original box. Comes with bed extension, stand, and stand extension, all unopened. Dropped price to $495 for everything. How well would this lathe hold up, particularly after sitting unused for so long? Or better to keep looking? The newer 1015 with same stand and extensions would run about $900+. Any thoughts?

My grandson has a 1014, I started on a 1220 with bed extension and upgraded to a 1642. I have not been impressed with the 1014 though I lot of people use them for pens and other small objects. I do not think it is heavy enough for the extension to be particularly useful and a table is too easy to make. The $495 is too much for the base machine and I don't see the value in the other items. YMMV - that's just my opinion. If it included a chuck or chisels, that would up the value enough. That said, I think you could probably get most of your money back out of it.

Assuming no rust other than light surface rust, my only real *concern* would probably be the belt needing replacement after being in storage that long. Be aware that the $495 is just a starting point.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

That lathe is not "low end". It is small, but not low end. Low end would be Craftsman, Ridgid, Cummins (sorry to all you guys out there that use those...no insult intended, just sayin'). It is a very good/steady lathe for its size. It operates smoothly. If you do only small stuff, it will be great for you.

That said, you WILL outgrow it quickly. But even so, it will be a great "second lathe" at that point. Having a second lathe around for finials, pens, bottle stoppers, and lids is extremely handy.

As for price, I usually say 50% for used. That set up is probably worth $800. So, $400 would be a reasonable price. But since it is unused, $500 isn't out of the question. I'd say go for it!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I had an email from Nova yesterday that Rockler will start handling their little Nova Comet II 12" VS, 3/4HP lathe for around $500. I bought one back at their Christmas sale and have a review here at SMC http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ong&highlight= . I started out with the little Jet 1014 and it is a solid lathe and the direct belt drive provided more power than the later VS model which I later bought and quickly decided was under powered for bowls. I still find the slow speed range on my Nova Comet to be belt power limited but will use it to sand and finish bottoms on pieces less than 12" D that I had previously turned on my Powermatic 3520B. A lot of the little Jets are still going after a lot of hours, but the price is a little much as offered.

I started out with a 1014 (6-speed, not variable speed) and used it for some time (1-2 years), until I bought a Jet 1642. I was satisfied/happy with it as I learned to turn spindles, bowls, etc (first ventures into hollowing?). I think I did a number of bowls up to at least 6-8" diameter. Perhaps in contrast to many turners, I've never turned a pen at home, and only one at the local Woodcraft once, but it certainly would be appropriate for that and other small-scale projects. It would depend on your interests. I bought the 1642 after my turning interests became clearer, and I wanted to do bigger (longer as much as wider) things. I put the 1014 on the shelf but have not sold it off in the 5 years since. I could have continued to turn small items on the 1014, but it was simpler and saved space to go with just the 1642 for projects of all sizes. I've begun thinking about taking the 1014 off the shelf and using it as a dedicated single purpose tool, most likely building a jig and using the 1014 as a 'horizontal drill press' for drilling all the various holes at various angles that my recent spindle constructions involve, including compound angles. I'm not sure how useful the bed extension would be, given the power of the motor. The stand might be useful, though it might need ballast depending on the size/weight of what you try to turn.

If you are willing to drop $500 for an out-of-warranty lathe with a 10" swing, how does an in-warranty lathe with a 12" swing for $400 sound? You can get a new Rikon mini for that. Now, I haven't done a feature-by-feature comparison between the two but with the extra $100 you could build a wider/longer bench (with storage) that is much more solid than the stock leg set is going to provide for you. Also, I bought the bed extension for the Rikon mini and have used it 1 time since I bought the lathe 5? years ago. Unless you know you are going to do longer spindle work, that may be an accessory you don't really need.

I'm not suggesting the Rikon as a better solution for you. I offered that as an example because I have one and know about it. Just that, if you haven't checked out new mini lathes, you might want to do that. Also, many new mini lathes are now offering variable speed, which I don't have with the Rikon mini, but wish I did. I'd like to buy the VS upgrade for it, but I'm saving that money to go towards the big-boy lathe (one of these days).
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I would just like to add that $500 for the lathe is outrageous. But he's not just getting the lathe. He's getting the extension bed. That puts it at about $500. But wait, there's more. He's also getting the stand AND the extension stand, which is worth probably about $300 more. AND this isn't a used lathe. It is new in the box.

Certainly, if you are planning on dropping $500 on a lathe, you can get a LOT more lathe for your money. Heck, I know just where you could find such a deal. But that's no my point. My point is that, for what he is getting, it is not a bad deal. AND by having the "stand/s", it is mobile. He can take the lathe and stand to a friends house, a show, to a family function (to have some fun and show everyone what he can make), anywhere there is electricity. There ARE advantages with a set up like this. Then again, there are disadvantages (size and power for starters). Heck, I got a PM90 at an auction for $300. I could have left it as it was and just used it. 12" swing, long spindle capabilities, 700lbs sturdy. Of course, I couldn't just leave it like that because I am who I am...but that is another story. So, yeah, for $500 he can get more. But if he just wants a small lathe, that isn't a bad package. And if he decides he doesn't wan the stand, he should easily be able to sell it for $150 (with extension stand). Leaving a new in box lathe with extension bed for $350...$50 less than the lathe is/was new. Again, not a great deal, but certainly decent.

Of course, I would see if I could get it for $400...I just wasn't going to push that point.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I started turning on the Jet 1014, upgraded within the month. Machine is not suited for anything other than Pens, Bottle Stopers, Ornaments and other very small stuff. I sold mine for $150.00.

I have this machine (with extension and stand); it was the type of machine used in the first class I took and I figured if it could stand up to that kind of abuse it would work for me. True you're limited to about 9.5inches in diameter on your work but it's capable of a lot more than "small stuff" though I guess that depends on your definition of small stuff. Can't remember what I paid inasmuch as it's been several years. Clearly the lower price the better. And if you can afford a bigger machine that's of course the way to go. But if not this will give you some learning time and a lot of fun. LouisBowl.jpg This is about 9.5 x 9 inches and is pretty much the limit on the diameter; with the extension I've also done table legs with the aid of a homemade steady rest. Cheers

I looked at the rikon at woodcraft, they have the mini 70-100 on sale for $329 but not too familiar with Rikon brand. I also saw the Jet 1221. I guess it all comes down to what you want do with it. A warranty is always nice to have too. I do appreciate everyone's insight. As I said, want to get started with a good machine with a relatively small foot print, so any additional recommendations or suggestions are quite welcome.

I have a Jet 1014 without the extensions that I have been using for close to 8 years for just pens. I run it wide open all the time and it has never given me a moments trouble.

Like someone else said my concern would be dry rot of the belt. It might be perfect but the belt is not expensive.

I don't think $500 for that package is too bad but you have to know up front that your swing is limited and so is your power. If you are planning to turn pens, small bowls and spindles it is a good machine.

However, $500 is only the beginning because you will need a chuck, chuck jaws, tools, pen mandrels, pen kits, etc. etc. etc. The lathe is sometimes the cheapest part of the woodturning hobby.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I have a 1014 and and later got a 1642, I kept my 1014, and will probably keep it unless I can get a 1221 for a steal. The 1014 is a great LITTLE lathe, I turned on it for years, never gave me trouble, I even cored bowls, (very slowly) with the McNaughton rig. I also think $500 is not that great a deal, since the extension and extension stand will probably not get used a lot.
    I've turned on the Rikon, and it's also pretty good, a bit more power, and bigger, but I like my Jet better.

The Rikon is probably the same quality. But bigger swing. I have the VS model of this lathe, and like it very much for small stuff.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Fornaris View Post
    I looked at the rikon at woodcraft, they have the mini 70-100 on sale for $329 but not too familiar with Rikon brand.
    Dang. That's a pretty good deal. I think it's safe to say that Rikon has a pretty good reputation here on the Creek for their quality of tools and excellent customer service. I have not had to call their service since I bought their lathe and bandsaw so I can't personally vouch for that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I just googled up Rikon's mini variable speed machine, the 70-200 EVS. It's selling on ToolCenter for $949.

I must be missing something here. You can buy the standard 6 speed lathe for $329 (Woodcraft) and the variable speed upgrade 79-100VS for $179 (ToolCenter) and save $450 ... and actually get a lower speed (300 rpm) with the kit than with the EVS (400 rpm). Not sure why anyone would pay that much money for the EVS...
    Brian