Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paring Chisels

Paring Chisels

I've got a couple of nice old paring chisels, the long, thin, flexible type you keep the mallet away from. I've wanted to pick up a few more, which I could do with some rust hunting I suppose. Blue Spruce makes a long paring chisel, anyone have/use them? Does anyone else make a good quality true paring chisel anymore?
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Blue spruce and Japanese are about it. If you can find an old western parer before the days of lots of chromium - one with an octagonal forged bolster, you'll find that they are excellent chisels. The only trouble with them is most of the folks who have bought up the nice old beveled edge parers for resale think that something in the ballpark of $100 is a good price for them.

You could make a nice HSS chisel out of a power planer blade since the bolster is not critical on a chisel you'd push. Just grind a tang onto one end and put a bevel on the other.

I've noticed that trend on the auction sites, not to mention they often list similar chisels as paring chisels when clearly they are not. I don't mind spending the cash on the BS ones, although their site has some ordering quirks at the moment. Just curious what else was out there.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Blog Entries
    Japanese makers make very nice dedicated paring chisels of several different types. The only issue is they are quite expensive. Stuart at Tools from Japan has chisels from several different makers, Tools For Working Wood has some nice Japanese paring chisels too. Usu-nomi/Paring chisels, Umeki-Shinogi/Detail chisels, Bachi-nomi (fistail) chisels are a new type of detail chisel Stuart carries. Be aware that Stuart can get more chisels than he lists in his store. Also be aware that the turn around time to get information and get chisels ordered and made can be lengthy ordering from Tools from Japan.

Yeah, actual parers are probably a tenth of what's listed. There are a TON of socket firmers that people try to sell as paring chisels. presumably, paring chisels are a challenge for makers now because they're flexible. don't know how they made and ground them in the old days, but it probably involved more setup with human interaction.

Henry taylor chisels are maybe the only other tools I've seen mentioned where people are offended by what they have.

MJD auctions frequently sells long paring chisels if they don't mess up and forget your high bid,selling them for LESS to someone else!! REALLY!! Otherwise,an old planer blade makes a good,long chisel. The guys in the millwork shop used to make theirs from a planer blade. The longer they were,the greater the bragging rights!!

Isn't there a complete set of Blue Spruce paring chisels offered in our classified section?

I made these from HSS planer blades the long one is around 15" 3/4" wide. The ferrules were made from 1/2" PEX fittings from the plumbing section.paring chisels.jpgparing chisel.JPGparing chisel 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Isn't there a complete set of Blue Spruce paring chisels offered in our classified section?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stofik View Post
    Sold
    sold
    sold
    Funny how certain things are up for sale and at the same time someone is wanting the very same item.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I have a couple of Blue Spruce long paring chisels. They are well made just like anything Dave makes. Being A2 I don't think they're as flexible as the old ones seem to be in videos I've seen (don't own one). Don't have a Japanese parer but Stu would be able to give you the heads up on what one of those would work for you; I'm sure someone could write a book on the variety of them.

Japanese paring chisels, or slicks, are quite different from their Western cousins. Their only similarity is that both chisels are long. The Western chisel has a long blade and a relatively short handle, while the Japanese version has a long handle and a relatively short blade. The Western parer has a thin blade. The Japanese parer blade is thin by Japanese standards by still about twice as thick as the Western.

I have a set of Kiyohisa, which came via So (in Australia). Three year waiting list. It was worth it.

If you are looking for a thin, flexible Western style paring chisel, these are not for you. The blades are stiff, but they are surgical instruments, and hold the best edge forever.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Funny how certain things are up for sale and at the same time someone is wanting the very same item.
    I eyed those, but at the price, I'd would buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    I made these from HSS planer blades the long one is around 15" 3/4" wide. The ferrules were made from 1/2" PEX fittings from the plumbing section.paring chisels.jpgparing chisel.JPGparing chisel 2.jpg

Certainly an option as Dave / George suggested, nice work on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    If you are looking for a thin, flexible Western style paring chisel, these are not for you.
    Derek
    Thanks Derek, definitely Western, the ones I have are flexible and wonderful to use, just need a few larger. I was wondering if the BS A2 chisels would have that same ability. Might have to hit the local rust centers.

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Thanks Derek, definitely Western, the ones I have are flexible and wonderful to use, just need a few larger. I was wondering if the BS A2 chisels would have that same ability. Might have to hit the local rust centers.
    Just used my BS long parers - they are flexible (more so than I remember). Not sure as flexible as the old ones. Any way I can help you compare let me know.