Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas on rolling cabinet for under tablesaw extension wing

Looking for ideas on rolling cabinet for under tablesaw extension wing

I'm in between projects and looking to improve the organization around my tablesaw. My plan is to occupy the under utilized space beneath the extension on the right. I have a 50" fence so there is a good amount of space.

Below are my wants from this project. Let me know if anyone has other suggestions.
    • Casters so it is mobile
      Storage for large panel cutting sled
      Blade storage
      Dado blade storage
      Place for push sticks and feather boards
      Location for tenoning jig

I'm thinking drawers for the smaller items and then a large open area for the panel sled. I'd love to see others ideas if you built something similar.

Thanks,
    Wes

Should have added that this is the saw so I don't need to worry about the mobile base extending under the extension.
    SawStop-Industrial_det1.jpg
    Last edited by Wes Billups; 10-31-2013 at 7:51 PM.

I'm on the same page. I need the same thing for my TS. I have an issue of Shop Notes that has something cool. But the dimensions need to be seriously modified. I'll post it tomorrow when I'm back at the shop.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I'm on my second version doing this. The first used a black Harbor Freight rolling tool cart. It looked like it was made for the saw. I then found an even better cabinet at my local Sears outlet.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...e-cabinet.aspx

Have you seen this from American Woodworker? This link has several plans; scroll down to the table saw cart

Norm did one on the New Yankee Workshop. His was at the height of the saw but I'm sure you could change the dimensions to suit your case. It's up as you tube video.

How mobile do you need it to be? Move it every time you use it or once in a while?

I built mine to be non-mobile because I didn't want to waste the caster space. I built it to be just under the mounting bolts that attach the fence tube to the angle iron. Then I left the legs off my extension table. A couple shims let the extension rest on the cabinet. When I need to move the saw and engage the wheels, the table raises up off the cabinet then I can just slide the cabinet. This allowed the cabinet to be several inches larger. Mine is all drawers including a blade drawer inspired by the factory Unisaw blade storage.

The storage for my sleds is behind the saw under the extension table. Its real easy to build an extension table for these saws because it can attach right to the angle on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How mobile do you need it to be? Move it every time you use it or once in a while?

I built mine to be non-mobile because I didn't want to waste the caster space. I built it to be just under the mounting bolts that attach the fence tube to the angle iron. Then I left the legs off my extension table. A couple shims let the extension rest on the cabinet. When I need to move the saw and engage the wheels, the table raises up off the cabinet then I can just slide the cabinet. This allowed the cabinet to be several inches larger. Mine is all drawers including a blade drawer inspired by the factory Unisaw blade storage.

The storage for my sleds is behind the saw under the extension table. Its real easy to build an extension table for these saws because it can attach right to the angle on the back.
    I'm kinda going to go with what Matt's saying here. Unless you move your saw a lot, or you want to be able to pull out and use the TS cart as an assembly table, build it to fill the space, insuring that you don't block the mobility bits of the saw. You could look into using furniture glides/sliders on the bottom of the case to make moving it when needed easier.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    I just went with a wide, deep drawered unit. You could leave the toe kick panel off to reach locking casters if that was your druthers.

TS drawers (35).jpg

I laid out what was to go into the drawers. The tallest item determined the dimensions of my deepest drawer and I moved up, by decreasing size, from there. Wrenches, a square, tilt-box, featherboards, etc. ended up in the shallow top drawer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-01-2013 at 1:40 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Look at the new FWW Tools and Shops issue that just came out. Plenty of options of carts in there.

Wes: drawers. All drawers. No question, IMHO.

As for mobility... looking at that photo of your saw I would make one suggestion: Find a way to ATTACH it to the saw, so that when you move the saw, the cabinet moves too. Save yourself constantly having to move the cabinet out, then move the saw, then move the cabinet back.
    "It's Not About You."

When I did it I made a complete rolling base out of steel tube and large casters thinking it was going to be heavy and I would need the large casters to move it. In fact it turned out so heavy the thing was just about unmoveable by a single person and it never went anywhere so the casters and base were a complete waste of time. I have since pulled it apart for other reasons and have all the stuff that was in it sitting on benches waiting for me to come up with another idea. The idea has merit but the cabinet need not move if the saw doesn't.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

12. Sorry for the delay with the pictures. The saw I have is the ICS, the same as pictured in Wes' post.

SC1.jpg
    This a rolling tool chest from Harbor Freight. I cut the uprights and drilled new bolt holes so it would roll under the extension of the saw. This cart is currently on sale with a coupon for about $104.00.

SC3.jpg
    On the back I hung a miter sled.

SC4.jpg
    This is the second cabinet I found that would fit under the extension. It was at a Sears outlet in the scratch and dent dept. This cabinet has far more storage than the one above. I put it on a Jet rolling base to keep the it low.

SC6.jpg
    The motor cover is the reason a mobile storage solution is needed for this model saw.

13. SC7.jpg
    In the last post I forgot to add, when the Gladiator cabinet is rolled out, you gain a large area to put "stuff". The "stuff" you normally just lay on the saw and then eventually gets in the way.

Drawers front and back, salvaged from a previous TS:
    P1060799.jpg

I built a cabinet to replace the support for the 52" fence on my old Delta saw. I bought a piece of granite for the top (which solved the issue I had with the original top warping).
    Tablesaw extension cabinet.jpg
    When I upgraded to a Unisaw I fitted the cabinet with casters. It now sits underneath the Unisaw's extension table and if I need extra benchtop surface I can roll it out (I had to attach "outriggers" for the casters so it would fit).
    Unisaw with cabinet.jpg

As the pitures show I went with two large drawers (with full extension slides) over a single large volume with two doors.