Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Treated vs Oak

Pressure Treated vs Oak

Ok, quick question for barn repair. The original structure is made of oak. Since I am having to replace parts of it, including flour joists wall studs, and a post or two, which would be better, pressure treated or oak? Is there a difference? Is one better?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Edmonds View Post
    Ok, quick question for barn repair. The original structure is made of oak. Since I am having to replace parts of it, including flour joists wall studs, and a post or two, which would be better, pressure treated or oak? Is there a difference? Is one better?
    In this area, oak will be more expensive than pressure treated. I'd use pressure treated.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ok. Can I use the same dimensions or would I need larger pieces of lumber?

Justin,

If you use pressure treated make sure it is hidden/covered/protected. I stored half dozen cut-offs of the new (brownish) PT outdoors and in six months of sun (lots) and rain (little) it is worthless. It has all twisted and split. I don't know if the old (greenish) PT was better in weathering, but this stuff is terrible.

There are different grades of pressure treated lumber. The material rated for earth contact will last as well or better than heart white oak and is quite a bit cheaper (still pretty expensive though).

Glad I asked. I didn't know that.

I'm a building contractor, and I live on a farm full of old barns so I've done this before.

White oak is very resistant to rot and has been used for centuries on barns for that reason.
    Pressure treated lumber is fine for most applications, but if it touches the ground you'll need to use ground contact rated material.
    Oak is also much stronger than PT lumber so you'll need larger pieces of PT to get the same load rating.

Personally, I would use the white oak for the floor joists and the posts.( I'd also use black locust for the posts if I could find it in large enough pieces)
    Treated would work for wall studs.

Blog Entries
    +1 for white oak.

It is one of the best species for weather exposure and it won't poison the earth.

The hard part is finding someone with the sizes I'm needing.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Edmonds View Post
    The hard part is finding someone with the sizes I'm needing.
    Depending on where you are located??? You should be able to find a smallish sawmill within about 30-50 miles, and have them custom cut the sizes you provide. Rough sawn green, white oak should be quite reasonably priced. I get it all the time for little more than pressure treated in price.

+1 on that sentiment. If you limit the "cost" calculation of a project to dollars, you have no idea how expensive it really is. White oak is far superior in every way. Buy logs and hire someone with a portable bandmill to cut exactly what you need. The dollar cost will be not a lot more than using the copper arsenide pressure treated pine.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

I'm in East TN. I'll look around and see some time.

Any livestock in the barn? What about feed, hay, etc.? Possible concern about pressure treated then, but I'm not sure.

Oak

I can show you 200+ year old barns as straight and true as they day were built. PT has a long way to go before it proves itself to equal oak.
    I've torn down quite a few decks built of PT, and was stunned at how fragile PT gets over time, exposed to the elements. Especially the posts.

PT in a barn with livestock may be a no go based on local codes.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-02-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

In East Tennessee you should be able to find several small sawmills willing to supply what you need but you may need to dry it yourself.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN