Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet & Powermatic...What are they thinking?

Jet & Powermatic...What are they thinking?

Okay, so have these guys really upped their game, started making their products THAT much better, and started warrantying their products for life...or do they think we're stupid? Obviously the latter. A 16" Jet lathe went for about $1600 just a few years ago, now the same lathe is $2600. I just saw the Woodcraft sale flier and they say the 6" jointer is normally $920. WHAT? $920 for a 6" jointer?

I understand that material costs have gone up. But a 6" joiner (even Jets) were in the mid $400s to $500 just a few years ago. The cost of materials CAN'T have gone up by twice of the total cost (including profits) in the last 6 years or so.

Not to mention, we are still in a recession. It isn't like we've pulled out and everyone is living high on the hog...with extra money to NOW buy mediocre overpriced equipment.

The only way to stop this nonsense is to stop buying them. Heck, you can't even argue that they are made in America and that makes them worth more. Nope, same China "quality".

Now, is Walter Meier (or whoever owns PM and Jet now) American owned? If it is, why is it gouging "its own"? If not, why are we still buying their stuff...allowing them to sell mediocre equipment for outrageous prices? Heck, either way, why are we still buying their stuff?

I'm all for capitalism and making a profit. But in a less than stellar economy, to start doubling your price when your product is no better is simply dishonest and rude. I hope the majority of others feel the same and do not buy new PM and Jet equipment.
    I drink, therefore I am.

And what has the dollar value done in the same time frame? Me thinks more than just the cost of material going on here! However, I agree, they are pricing them selves out of my range.

Gotta pay for that acquisition somehow. A recent thread discussed the sale to Tenex Capital http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=Tenex

The invisible hand will slap them hard if they so deserve it. Luckily I'm in a position that I don't want or need anything from them, so it matters little to me how they price their goods. WMH was Swiss, I believe Tenex may be US based, but that kind of company is rarely what I think of as a nation specific entity. They serve the almighty dollar first and fore most. Employees….meaningless. Customers…pawns. Getting wealthier…priceless. Grizzly may eventually prove to be the only company left worth buying that sort of thing from because the owner actually seems interested in the product and the customer. There are some signs of life over at Powermatic, expensive but at least they are still fighting. Jet? I didn't understand why people bought that level at the old prices, so if they have gone up, I just understand it less. The same chiwan imports as they other guys but for 15-20% more….because they are now distantly related to powematic….who used to a well respected American manufacturer…..its all very tenuous. Does PT Barnum run that organization by any chance?

Just to be pedantic, the recession ended over 4 years ago.

The one PM machine I've been following the last few years has not seen the same level of price increase you describe; maybe it depends on the item.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Dang.

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-708457dxk.html

That jointer has really gone up in price hasn't it? I started out with a jointer like that. I think about $500 maybe 10 years ago. I looked around at some of their other tools like their 14" band saw and 15"drill press and they haven't had any where near that kind of price increase. Really surprising to me, pretty short beds on that jointer (like most 6"jointers I guess).

PHM

This past January of this year I bought a Craftsman 21833 table saw. Listed at more than $450, but less than its Ridgid 4512 cousin (499 at the time). Had a coupon, discount deal, etc and ended up paying about $340 for the saw--about the real right price in my mind. Was on the Craftsman web site the other night and the 21833 now has a regular price of $649 (marked down to $549 today so some of that increase is to make a higher purchase price feel like a $100 discount), just about a 45% increase in just 9 months. This prompted me to look at the 4512, and its retail went from $499 to $529, which is kind of tough to get a break from. Did prices surge for real or did some prices get big increases so they could reflect bigger discounts??

earl

There is so much old American iron out there that is at least equal and often superior to anything of their respective counterparts made today, at half the price, why would you be upset at the price of new stuff? It just makes the decision to find an old gem even easier.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    There is so much old American iron out there that is at least equal and often superior to anything of their respective counterparts made today, at half the price, why would you be upset at the price of new stuff? It just makes the decision to find an old gem even easier.

John
    I'm with you John. You can find some serious deals on old American iron if you are patient. I don't even consider new equipment anymore. The cost is just ridiculous to me. Most of the time new bearings, a little tweaking, and a lot of elbow grease will land you a great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    +1! Huge fan off old arn here. Might need a little lovin but worth it.

Some people want to work wood not rework old machinery. After working on electronics and electrical/mechanical equipment daily from radar to CT and MR scanners for over 40 years and doing all the maintenance on my own personal vehicles, the last thing I want to do in my free time is work on machines, engines, transmissions, clutches, etc. I want to work wood.

Beyond that...on my local craigslist you seldom see old iron for sale and if it is, the owner is proud of it based on the asking price.

Each to their own!

The reason for the price increases? Decreased value of the dollar and increased cost of shipping the machines from Taiwan or China to the US could explain it. Recent articles I have read indicate that the local economies in a lot of Asian countries have increased.....increasing labor costs.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm all for people looking at their options, and making a decision that best suites their circumstance. I'm pretty handy with fixing machines, so I have bought used equipment, but lots of people don't want to mess around with it. One thing that I think that we know is that just because you plop down the big money does not mean that you wont need to do some wrenching, if only just to align a machine.

Stephan, you got it!

I've got some older stuff, and I love them. I love bringing old stuff to life. That said, I like new stuff. But I just don't see paying twice what we were paying 5 years ago for the exact same thing... Better, yes. More bells and whistles, yes. Easier to use, repair, fix, less problems, maintain, yes. But for the same thing...NO!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Echo'ing the last two posts.We have some beautiful old arn peacefully working alongside new equipment,in several of our shops.

We "fix"(welding/machine)a lot of equip for folks.....it's just part of the pkg.The more equip a shop gets,the more maintenance.The more you use a pce...the more maint.and on and on.

Personally I think we've reached a "node" in chicom startup co's but.......have been wrong before?If that's correct,you'll see a little thinning of the herd.It'll be interesting to watch the two brands in O.P.,in this respect.

I was noticing price craziness lately also. bought pm719t in November 2010 for 900 on sale and now its like 1275 on amazon. pretty big rice jump in just 3 years.