Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something new from The Schwarz that I'm quite excited about

Chris,

That's not a fantasy. I am sure you can do a great job making your door. May you enjoy doing it as well .
    by the way the Norm Abrams New Yankee episode where he makes an entry door is a good episode. Worth a watch.

Oh and thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 11-02-2013 at 8:46 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Funny - I saw that entry myself and was also excited. I'd like to tackle both some doors and windows someday soon-ish. I'm not exactly sure how I'd approach a door build with 5 foot bench though . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Two 8' studs clamped to the top of your bench will support the door when assembling it. I built a new front door and door frame for our house. My bench is 72" long.

Lowell,

That's the spirit !
    if you can find time to post a photo or several I am sure we would enjoy seeing your work.
    Thanks,
    Winton
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Thanks Winton...yes, I think I could figure out how to do and do it well...though it would a learning curve. I appreciate the vote of confidence. The fantasy is more of whether or not I'll ever get around to doing it. I'll see if I can find that NYW episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Funny - I saw that entry myself and was also excited. I'd like to tackle both some doors and windows someday soon-ish. I'm not exactly sure how I'd approach a door build with 5 foot bench though . . .
    Same issue..I'd also like to build a bed which doesn't seem very fun to do on a 5ft bench....solution will be to build another much bigger bench. That's the next big project on the list. Grrrrrrr, that is if life will ever stop getting in the way of my hobby.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Good call, Lowell. I was figuring something along those lines - of course my bench isn't nearly wide enough for a large door, either, but something like that is workable. Of more concern than assembly is working the rough stock, of course. But given the size of the pieces, it may just be worth it to pay the extra for pre-surfaced material or call in some favors and get access to 'lectric jointer and planar options.

I'm in the same spot as Chris, of course - the question is less can and and will I ever get around to it.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice