Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some 5" Random Orbit Sander Dilemmas-Questions

Some 5" Random Orbit Sander Dilemmas-Questions

I recently used a 5" Dewalt ROS. The one I usually use (mine) is a variable speed Dewalt. It seemed to me that the single speed which was borrowed had noticeably more power than mine. In fact it seemed that you couldn't want anymore power than it had. Was it more powerful or was it my imagination. That's always the question? I say it was more powerful.

I also own a Porter Cable low profile sander, I think a 390. I first tried it in the Spring and was so disgusted with it, I didn't touch it again until recently. And my second trial bore out my first assessment. It was not only weak, but it seemed to be not working right. It would stop spinning. I'm going to take it to a repair shop and have it checked. But it definitely is no good as it is.

What do you think?

Zilch, nada, nothing.

How about if I said...Festool! ?

I have both Dewalts and never really noticed any difference in power.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by George Octon View Post
    Zilch, nada, nothing.

How about if I said...Festool! ?
    I don't know about the Models you listed, but I do have the Festool and its a great ROS. I had the PC and sold it after purchasing the Festool. No comparison in quality IMO. The DC alone is reason to get it. I've got both the soft heads and firm and both work excellent for each intended purpose. I have it teamed with my Festool vac and makes sanding an easy chore. The sand paper is not cheap, but tends to last much longer (IMO). I've also used the Merka paper that is excellent as well.

Don't know anything about the DW's

I do not think that finish sanders are designed for much stock removal - which needs power. You will have (since you did not mention it) more luck if you start with coarse grit, say 80. After that 100 (or 120), 150 or 180 (done if staining) and 220 (for non-film finish).
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Bosch sander

I have a Bosch ROS and it will eat up the wood. It also is kind to your hand because in has minimal vibration. I think sanding success is as dependent on the paper you use as the machine. Not sure if I have found the right paper yet but, a fresh sheet does a real good job.

I guess I am too dumb to know better.

PC Belt sander.

Makita quarter pad finishing sander which I have used for years.

Until I bought a PC ROS at Woodcraft sale a year or so ago.

The PC ROS is like heaven compared to the Makita. From 80 down to 220, it leaves a wonderful finish, chews up wood at the higher grits, works fine with my sanding box, and compared to the thing I was using, it is like a Cadillac.

Festool must be something beyond mortal if it is SO much better. I'll probably never know.

I think anyone who is happy with one of typical brands, Dewalt, Bosch, Porter-Cable, etc, jusy doesn't know any better. Of course, they'll get the job done and leave a fine surface, but they fall short of the better models in many ways. I've been using the Festools for several years now and every time I happen to use one of the Borg brands I'm absolutely appalled at how bad they are. Worse than that, after trying out the Mirka, even my Festools seem like they were designed as a form of "enhanced interrogation".

Now I admit, there is a certain threshold of time spent sanding that makes the differences between models more apparent. I suppose someone building a handful of small projects in the course of a year is unlikely to notice much. But, for those of us who routinely go on 40 hour sanding sprees, the little details are hugely important.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I think anyone who is happy with one of typical brands, Dewalt, Bosch, Porter-Cable, etc, jusy doesn't know any better.
    Yep, we are just pretty much a bunch of idiots, I guess Well, back to finish sanding that first board I started on in January...
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 11-07-2013 at 3:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Yep, we are just pretty much a bunch of idiots, I guess
    Who is?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    those of us who routinely go on 40 hour sanding sprees,
    Oh . . .

Seriously though, to the OP - Your use of a ROS will determine which one and of what type might serve you best. There are a few things that can make a ROS move incorrectly but, power is a matter of . . well, power. I use a ROS as a rough finishing tool several steps back on the road toward a finish-ready surface. Even still, my little 2.2amp Bosch does a fine job as low powered as it is.

If you do some sort of work that requires things to be sanded into form (boats maybe?)then a much more stout type of sander is better suited, probably pneumatic. If the power rating on the VS DeWalt and the borrowed one is the same and the experience differs, I might suspect the VS circuit or brushes if it has enough hours on it. If the motion of the pad is suspect then the pad itself, the coupling mechnics or bearings could be involved. An exploded diagram might steer you toward a self repair by simply replacing the errant part(s).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-07-2013 at 6:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

After my 40 hour sanding spree I can at least say "Thank you" when someone comments "it looks like a 2x4"!

I had a Craftsman ROS and was happy with it, until something broke (probably the belt). So I decided to "upgrade" and got a Dewalt VS 5" ROS. It is extremely noisy, vibrates like crazy, and jumps all over the work on large panels. I keep it around for rough work that may damage it. This frustration drove me to try Festool and it is a significant improvement. The last I saw, the 5" ROS from Festool was not too bad, in relation to Festool prices. I know it is expensive though, % wise, as compared to the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Yep, we are just pretty much a bunch of idiots, I guess Well, back to finish sanding that first board I started on in January...
    Sorry, if I touched a nerve. Not knowing better is not being an idiot. I'm not a truck driver, I can't tell you the advantages of computer controlled air sprung driver's seat, don't think I need one, there are lots of truckers who wouldn't drive without theirs. I use a $50 dollar set of kitchen knives, I bet no professional chef would think they were fit to cut butter. This doesn't make me an idiot, it just means that the breadth of my experience hasn't made the value of better knives or driver's seats. Their is another thread right now where the poster is asking for a better way to sand that won't flare up his carpal tunnel. I'm sure he thought his equipment was just fine, until his experience told him it wasn't.

I have owned a few over the years and even several festool . Curious that peoples experiences are so subjective .I have not experienced my festool as the end all . Different ,certainly not the most powerful . But to original poster . The sander you have that lacks power ,You might try loosening the housing up . I took a portacable apart for a switch repair and when it was assembled again it was a different machine . Another one increased performance just by loosening the top screws .I have a 5" festool that had no power - thought it was the machine ,finally seized up ,had it repaired and now it works much better .Could of had a bearing to tight .Point #1 is that festool is not the end all .Point #2 seems like these little sanders get bearing bound . I hope that helps .

I have the dewalt variable speed sander, actually my 2nd one since I was so happy with the first one I bought the 2nd. I being the cheap, ignorant guy I am, figured I could buy 3 of them for the price of one festool. now, if I were a professional sander doing this work every day, maybe a professional tool would be better.