Thread: Milwaukee 6470 vs Makita 6470 - 10 1/4" Circular Saws

Milwaukee 6470 vs Makita 6470 - 10 1/4" Circular Saws

Looking to purchase one or the other and would like reviews or opinions.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

I have an old 10 Milwaukee that I use for cutting TJIs, not sure of what model. It has done the job for a long time, and shows no sign of tiring. It is a little clumsy, but it is a 10 inch skill saw so I expected it. I use it with a cutoff guide on TJIs, so not really an issue, and seldom use it freehand.

Have never used the Makita so I am no help there. I do have the 16 inch Makita beam saw, and it is a very good saw. My 7 1/4" saws are all Makita now that Porter Cable went to the dogs. If I had seen a 10" Makita I would probably have purchased that.

Sorry I could not be of more help in your comparison.

Larry

The makita is a really really great saw. Has front and rear bevel lock. Very good build quality. Very happy with mine.
    -Brian

as with first poster I have an older milwaukee 10" . I would rate it pretty low .Has some arbor slop -not alot but not tight like a festool for instance .Base plate needs attention to get right .I also find it needs a guide to get a good cut but that is due to it's size i suspect .Also base easily gets out of square to the blade . Problem with my comments is that I have not used the latest model . Generally it cuts OK but it isn't high quality .

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I will go with the Milwaukee since it's about $90.00 less and an extra amp. It won't need to do precision cuts, it will be used to cut billets and bowl blanks from 3.5" slabs. I can see one in person Saturday so if it looks to be up to the task I'll pull the trigger, if not I'll order the Makita. It doesn't look to bad though in this video:

The Milwaukee is very nice. I have one myself. My brother in law has the Makita and it is a nice saw too. The adjustable handle on the Milwaukee at first glance seems like a waste but has proven to be a nice little feature that has came in handy. One thing i will say is the Milwaukee is big, heavy and clumsy while the Makita is a little tidier and lighter. Have only used mine for framing and it cuts through wet PT 2x like nothing. After using both, I like the Milwaukee.

If you are cutting material that thick take a serious look at the Makita 16". It is big but the cuts are amazing. It will allow you to cut even bigger stock if the need arises. They come up used once in a while, I think because they scare the hell out of people. They are actually very easy to use.

Larry

Larry,
    Does your 16" have the blade dampeners? I had one prior to that feature and while it was a great saw I wondered how well those worked.

If things go well with the selling of billets & turning blocks I will upgrade to the Makita 16" down the road. For now I like the idea of the 10" because I can always use a table saw blade if needed.

plus one on the Makita 16 == and Yes , people get scared in a hurry when you pull it off the shelf (once they realize what the heck it is)== hang on, very nice saw- get a good blade for it and it will cut just about everything - personally I would go with a chainsaw for the chore -
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Very happy with my choice, great build quality!

IMG_6191.jpgIMG_6188.jpg