Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Axe Tenon Saw

Bad Axe Tenon Saw

I've been cutting tenons with whatever saw would work and it hasn't been fun. I don't own a tenon saw. I read an article that featured a couple of tenon saws and the one that caught my eye was the Bad Axe hybrid-cut. Then I found out they are $275.

My attitude toward tools is it's okay to spend the money if the tool will make the job easier and more enjoyable, and if it encourages you to use it. Safer comes into the picture too.

Any opinions on the Bad Axe?

I have a Bad Axe 14" sash saw. Easily my favorite saw, and one of my favorite tools. Mark is very approachable and easy to talk to about your needs. He has answered all my questions about my saw, and I bought it second hand.
    I can't imagine being disappointed with one of his offerings.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I have a Bad Axe 14" sash saw. Easily my favorite saw, and one of my favorite tools. Mark is very approachable and easy to talk to about your needs. He has answered all my questions about my saw, and I bought it second hand.
    I can't imagine being disappointed with one of his offerings.
    My experience too. Great saw, great service. I have the 10" hybrid cut dovetail saw and it's very very nice. Don't know that it is safer though - they come sharrrrrp and will draw blood if you stick your fingers in the way.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I also have a Bad Axe dovetail saw. I like so much, that after speaking with Mark, I ordered a 14" sash saw, hybrid cut. Great saws!!

I have a Bad Axe. Mine is a 12" hybrid filed DT/Tenon and it is great. I've got a 16" hybrid filed sash saw now being made by them. If you call Mark he'll get you exactly what you need.
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 11-05-2013 at 8:04 PM.

I have a few Bad Axe Saws and they are great. Expensive, yes but they are nice and I am sure they will hold their value fairly well if you choose to part with them.

mark is very helpful and will get you setup with the right saw that fits your hands...it is an amazing feeling when you get a saw that feels like an extension of your hand vs. a tool in your hand.

good luck

I've got 2 16" tenon saws (rip and x-cut) and they are wonderful. Good for general use or finer work. I also have a dovetail and sash saw, and they power through the super-dense hardwoods like nothing.

In short, they're awesome. You won't regret plopping down the cash.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Julie: I've been using Mark's saws for about 4 years. I bought a bench hook set off him on eBay and then had him sharpen some saws for me.
    I bought one of his first saws when he started manufacturing them, at that time there weren't the options there are today.
    He is a great guy to deal with and his saws are fantastic. Your sawing will stop being a chore and become much more enjoyable with a quality saw.
    While $265 is a lot of money, look at what refurbished saws are going for on eBay by the reputable saw sharpeners, they are in the same price range.
    If you buy a Bad Axe, you are getting a tool that will last you a life time.
    Good luck, Bob

Blog Entries
    I have the 16" Tenon Saw filed hybrid. I love it (and this comes from one who prefers Japanese pull saws). Saws straight and fast. I think you would be happy with the saw.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Great question! I was just checking out the Bad Axe site. I do not have a tenon saw, although I do have a Gramercy Sash saw, which I like very much. I just restored a nice Stanley 150 miter box that I have been thinking about buying the Bad Axe 20" miter saw for. Then I started thinking about an 18" hybrid tenon saw that might do both jobs…?

The Stanley 150 is a small miter box that I plan to keep on a shelf on my bench to use vs a bench hook for cross cutting.

If cost is the issue don't forget LV has their tenon saw release at the first of Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    If cost is the issue don't forget LV has their tenon saw release at the first of Dec.
    and I'm guestimating that is will cost about $135. Does anyone have pictures of this? I thought I caught a glimpse of it in one of the Lee Valley videos, it has a curved front?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    and I'm guestimating that is will cost about $135. Does anyone have pictures of this? I thought I caught a glimpse of it in one of the Lee Valley videos, it has a curved front?
    Google the saw and you'll find some pics online. Yes, the pics I've seen it has a front like a disston no. 9...what is sometimes called a 4/5th backsaw, because the curved toe sticks out past the back.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

You can't go wrong with anything from Bad Axe tools. Mark is a sharpening and set guru. His saws just perform surprisingly well. I actually think the $275 price tag is quite reasonable for a hand made hand set up saw. If price is the issue I would consider LV or LN which are nice saws. One of the great things about makers shows like WIA is test drives. I wish more people could experience what a well made and properly set up saw can do. If you do, you will think $275 is a deal.
    George Beck
    Fishers Laser Carvers

Thanks for the feedback! Seems there's a lot of happy Bad Axe customers here. I contacted Mark and he replied back in a few hours. He was very helpful. Whichever direction I go, I'm hoping to see a tenon saw under the Christmas tree, even if I have to wrap it and put it there myself.