Thread: Glue a Pizza Peel

Glue a Pizza Peel

I need to make 2 pizza peels for a restaurant.The big spatula thing that they put the pizza in the oven with. The one he has now was made by a local guy that passed on and is made out of Spruce. i have the Spruce but I don't have a 15in planer. and the one he has now was made out of one wide piece and warped.
    So I was going to cut them down to 1 1/2 in and glue them together, it should be more stable that way. What kind of glue would you use that is food safe and and can go in a Pizza oven?

I wouldn't use PVA (aka Titebond, Yellow Carpenters Glue, etc). It is thermoplastic -- that is, it gets soft if you heat it up. Epoxy is my go-to.

I used Titebond II for my pizza peel. No issues yet with glue softening. It doesn't really spend much time in the oven---just a few seconds while you're putting a pizza in or taking one out. I don't use it commercially, though, of course.

Yes, it will be less likely to cup if it's a lamination of several smaller pieces. If you're worried about the heat and the glue, then, yes, use epoxy.

Pizza Peel [1] (10-26-13).jpg

My friend just told me about a Gorilla that is PVA glue that is FDA approved mildew resistant and moisture resistant have you heard of that.
    Mark

Titebond II and III (I didn't look at TB I) are both FDA approved for indirect food contact. TB II has a strength of 1750 psi after overnight conditioning at 150 F. TB III is 800 psi. I used TB II for the peel I made about 15 years ago and it's still fine though it's only used in a home oven at 450 - 500 F max. Spruce has low conductivity and the peel is not left in the oven very long.

John

Plus one for the good old TiteBond - It's almost all I use and no regrets - pizza peels, breadboards, whatever - Not too sure I'd go w/ spruce though?? Glueing up strips in the best method IMHO - easier to make the handle that way - glue it up - belt sand it - oil it - done - mmmmmmmmm pizza
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt