Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone use LV's Branding Irons?

Blog Entries
    I have the electric version and use it for each piece that I make for the family, since they gave it to me for Christmas. They wanted to make sure that my name was on it for future generations. I almost cried at that one.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    I've used a branding iron for years. Mine is a heated with a torch type. Mine was made by Rockler and was received as a gift. I brand all my projects in an inconspicuous place and also imbed a penny of the current year right next to the brand. I've received nothing but positive comments of this practice since I started it over 30 years ago. A penny fits nicely in a recess made with 3/4" Forstner bit . Regular wood glue will hold the penny in place.

I heat the iron (actually brass) with a torch, test it on a pieces of scrap and then carefully press it into the wood on the finished piece. Then I lightly sand over the brand to remove most of the scorch marks, but not so much that the brand is removed. It takes a bit of practice to get the heat right and the dwell time right to leave a good impression without burning the wood too badly that the brand is unreadable.

One final hint. Be sure to disconnect your shop smoke detector before you do the branding unless you like loud noises. DAMHIKT.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-10-2013 at 8:38 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

As a birthday gift, my wife bought me the iron that needs to be heated. I usually have to heat it and trial the brand on a scrap piece a few times. The finished product is nice but if I had to use it on a daily basis it would likely get old. Few times a year though - works great.
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????