Thread: Cutting bevels

Cutting bevels

I discovered today that I can't cut a 20 degree bevel from the horizon angle on the table saw. I have a band saw and that works but I have a resaw blade on it with out a spare turned out pretty rough. Finished it with a block plane and the result were not stellar. Simple task is kinda kicking my butt. Any ideas?

Lots of ways to do this. What is the size of your work piece? Tall fence qith work piece on edge. Dedicated jig to hold piece at an angle. Rail on table to increase angle. Router jigs. Dado stack. All depends on what you're working with.

Blog Entries
    I recently made and entertainment center with a 60 degree bevel on the under side edge of the top. The top was 20" wide and 60 inches long, which made handling it on the table saw a bit interesting, since the panel had cupped slightly.
    bevel.JPG
    After reviewing my options, I elected to buy a dedicated router bit with a 30 degree angle and a pilot bearing. I was able to cut a perfect bevel on the three sides that needed it with minimal sanding clean up.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

So I guess I should give a few details. This sort of like a threshold but for a carpeted area to tile and its not part of a paying job just a favor. I recon I'll get a new band saw blade with finer teeth and clean it up with a scraper. Building a bunch of jigs is not what I planned for the long weekend.
    Attached Files Attached Files

So why don't you just put the piece on edge and cut the bevels on your TS, then cut the rabbet? It's plenty thick enough to be stable. Use a featherboard to keep it pressed against the fence and it should come out needing only a little sanding.

John

I have been making thresholds pretty much like you did .Generally on a jobsight so no bandsaw .Tablesaw gets me close and combo block planes and sanders finishes it up. often a router bit of somesort is also used .They very in shape ,detail . For one short custom threshold generally making a jig to get the exact shape seems like to much .

They can be a lot of work. When the really big houses are ready for them you can have a number of drawings for them ,bridging different surfaces,with different heights ,widths,materials. Tapers in heights. I've never had to make them on a job site ,though.

That's a trip to the supply or big box store since I have no feather boards. Of course I could make them.............. LOL New band saw blade sounds like the deal been needed a few more anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    So why don't you just put the piece on edge and cut the bevels on your TS, then cut the rabbet? It's plenty thick enough to be stable. Use a featherboard to keep it pressed against the fence and it should come out needing only a little sanding.

John

I made four thresholds for my house and used the planer. First I drew the angle I wanted on the end of one of the pieces and measured how thick a shim I would need to get the angle up to horizontal. Took a piece of scrap the same length as the threshold and planed it to the thickness I needed for a shim and used double stick tape to fasten it to the underside of my stock near one edge. Ran the whole thing through the planer a few passes to final thickness and used a rabbeting bit in the router for the rab on the underside.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I've done work like that by building a sled type jig for my planer. Does a nice job and it's safer to boot.

Wow what an expensive and time consuming lesson this was! I was fixed on setting the work piece face down with no consideration of other orientation. I went back to the band saw and couldn't figure out how I had cut the bevel to start with. John TenEyck had me pegged, laid it on its side and presto a 20.5 degree angle.

I knew i was screwing up somewhere

Presto you hit it where I missed. Worked great and yes you really do need a feather board.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    That's a trip to the supply or big box store since I have no feather boards. Of course I could make them.............. LOL New band saw blade sounds like the deal been needed a few more anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    John TenEyck had me pegged..........
    Yeah - he's a clever rascal. Very clever, IMO. I don't always agree with him, but there needs to be a very clear, specific reason to not follow his advice. One in a hundred, usually. And a shop/mission specific reason on that outlier "one".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.