Thread: Sawstop Multi-volume set?

Sawstop Multi-volume set?

On the verge of taking the step to SawStop, I noticed a 3HP PCS model on my local Craigslist for $2400 (a significant savings) still in the box. The catch(es): 1. It does not come with a fence & rails; and 2. It appears to have been part of a multi-unit order (there is a big label on the box that reads "Multi Volume Set"). Should I be concerned?

I would not worry. Call Sawstop in the morning to ask what that means, and ask how much for their fence system.

In the past week I saw a posting for a Sawstop fence for sale by someone who installed an Incra TS-LS when he got his saw--just looked here and didn't see it, so it may have been on Lumberjocks. If it's a good enough deal and you end up having to buy a fence, you'd have the opportunity to select an alternate fence system (and not have the factory fence system gathering dust and consuming shop space!!

earl

When mine arrived, the saw was in one crate, fence in another and extension tables in anotherr box.
    I assume labels mean that saw order fulfilled in several pieces. This alerts shipper to ensure all parts remain together.
    your fence was likely orphaned.
    No trouble. I actually miss my Vega fence. Other folks like the Biesmeier. I dont mind the SS fence, but there are many fish in that sea.

You will not regret the SS.

Dave

The seller says his original order was missing the fence, rails, and extension table; whoever he ordered it from (he wouldn't tell me who) sent another unit and, after 6 months hasn't picked up the original, so he's selling it. While the guy has a right to be frustrated; it feels a bit like "receiving stolen goods". I'll see what Sawstop has to say about warrant-ability; then ask the seller if I could speak with the original seller. Who knows, a deal might still be in the offing.

In my book, if he sells the original SS he received, he needs to send the money back to whoever he bought it from - since they sent him a duplicate unit. If they ask about the money, he should say that it was easier to send them the money than to send them the machine.

But he's obligated to return the original machine - or money - back to the seller. Unless the seller tells him to keep both of the units for the price of one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

This sounds like some sort of scam to me. I agree with Mike that if it was a legal sale he either returns the original or the money. I cannot imagine any legit company just replacing a defective unit worth thousands of dollars without requiring the original to be returned. Also, if the fence, rails, etc come in separate boxes why would they not just send them and not a completely new package. Something is wrong with this entire story. Maybe the box with the saw just "fell off the back of a truck". It is a tempting deal but something is really wrong here.

I had a second thought. Does Sawstop keep track of who has what product using the serial numbers? That would be a great reason to call SS to find out who supposedly owns this saw.
    Last edited by Ellen Benkin; 11-10-2013 at 1:11 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph about serial numbers

Your only concern is if it is stolen. Insist on speaking to the dealer he got it from.
    If he agreed to return it and never did, then it is a contract dispute annd you can safely buy it. They can sue him, but not you.

Yeah as long as they can't sue you seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Seems fishy to me. Why not just replace the fence? Wonder if Sawstop will ever provide service to whoever buys it if needed?