Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of bandsaw is best for resawing or ripping old oak timber?

What type of bandsaw is best for resawing or ripping old oak timber?

Hello ladies and gentlemen
    I purchased several dozen oak timbers that are 80-100 years old. These are 10" x 10" x 12' long.
    I want to use them in a house I'm building for myself. I'll use them as shelving, bookshelves, trims and mouldings.
    A fellow has a DoAll bandsaw for sale at a very reasonable price; it has a 20" throat and 12" maximum work height.
    Would this saw be suitable for cutting these timbers into 1" and 2" thick slabs?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Gaura

The DoAll could be used if it has speeds for woodworking (~3000 ft/min), they are made for cutting metal at much lower speeds. It would be a lot of work handling heavy material with any shop type bandsaw. If you can find someone with a band type sawmill (woodmizer or similar), that would make the job easy.

Buy a portable saw mill if you feel the need to do it yourself or take them to a saw mill. Managing wood that size on a bandsaw is crazy in my opinion. You are looking at 400# beams. A gas powered saw mill will cut slabs quickly, accurately and safely.

I agree with Dennis. That's going to be some very heavy material and you'll need some kind of infeed and outfeed support system, likely with rollers and/or some kind of sled.

Find a local person with a Wood-Mizer and have them resaw into useable slabs. These machines are designed to handle timbers of that size. If you try to tackle it yourself, you will need suitable infeed and outfeed support, a power feeder for a bandsaw or lots of muscle power. The Wood-Mizer company can help you find a local sawyer from their website.

Make sure you use a quality, low tpi blade. Your blade is more important than your saw.

Also, check the wood for metal or you may be going through more blades than necessary.

If resawing is a big part of your wood working job or future, you'll never regret buying a band saw. Bigger is better. If not, try to find a local shop to resaw the boards for you.

A bandsaw can be used if you cut the timbers to a shorter length.

If you want to the 10 foot long pieces, have someone with a portable band mill come over.

Be prepared to pay for blades as you'll hit metal objects...........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    It would be a lot of work handling heavy material with any shop type bandsaw.
    With a smaller saw, I agree, but I've resawn long, heavy things on my 19" saw with little problem. You have to establish proper infeed and outfeed, and must brace or bolt your saw to the floor to prevent it from moving. Waxing the deck does wonders for helping heavy stock move along.

If you can, plane down the table-side of the timber so it rides flatly and smoothly.

You will definitely need at least one person to guide the piece on the outfeed side.

10. Some of those do-alls are 3 wheel saws I think. If you have the space a big 2 wheel saw is preferable. The Do-all may be a 2 wheeler. The other issue is the Do-all is a metal saw and you may have to fuss with it to get it to run at a speed appropriate for ripping wood, unless you are in no hurry, which is fine, but I suspect wood cutting blades dull faster at the slower speeds of a metal cutting saw, getting less work cut before the blade gets dull.

Some metal cutting saws have a blade welder, which can reduce your costs on blades by about 80%.

I have both a MM16 and a Cook bandmill. If I were to pick one to resaw oak beams, would use the bandmill. I can accurately cut logs into lumber with the bandmill by myself, and you would need a very good helper to use a bandsaw and not ruin your pieces.

I've used a 14" delta on a mobile base to cut a big laminated beam by moving the saw, not the beam. I've wondered if it would work for a poor mans "sawmill". May be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Some of those do-alls are 3 wheel saws I think. If you have the space a big 2 wheel saw is preferable. The Do-all may be a 2 wheeler. The other issue is the Do-all is a metal saw and you may have to fuss with it to get it to run at a speed appropriate for ripping wood, unless you are in no hurry, which is fine, but I suspect wood cutting blades dull faster at the slower speeds of a metal cutting saw, getting less work cut before the blade gets dull.

Some metal cutting saws have a blade welder, which can reduce your costs on blades by about 80%.
    Thank you for your reply.
    This particular model of DoAll is a 2 wheel saw, and it's a variable speed, from 0-5000 fpm. It's also quite heavy, at least 1,700#.

This is a really great site! I'm amazed by the number of quality replies to my first question posted.
    Thank you all very much.
    From reading what all have replied, I see a need for more information from my side.

The bandsaw I'm considering is a variable speed, from 0-5,000+ fpm.
    It is also quite heavy, weighing at least 1,700#. It has 2 cast wheels for the blade, and does not have a blade welder.

I've inquired through craigslist.com and found portable saw/lumbermills willing to cut for $45/hr, which is the route I'm inclined to go, after having read all the replies.
    At my age I think it's best to leave the 'heavy lifting' for those younger and better equipped.

Thank you all.
    Best regards,
    Gaura

C'mon that "heavy lifting is exercise"!
    Check out this combo 14" bandsaw/14" sawmill built ON THE CHEAP.
    http://woodgears.ca/bandmill/backyard_milling.html

Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves