Thread: Undercutting Small Bowls

Undercutting Small Bowls

Looking at tool options for undercutting small bowls like potpourri bowls. Wondering what others do. Options appear to include:
    a. Bowl gouge
    b. Something like Kelton 1/2" diameter hollowing tool(s) http://www.kelton.co.nz/Kelton%20Hollowers.html
    c. Something like Kelton spoon undercutting tool (bottom of photo in following link) http://www.kelton.co.nz/Kelton%20Undercutters.html

Your thoughts?

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Hartranft; 11-09-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Tom, I use the #1 Hunter swan neck tools for small items which I want to hollow or undercut. You could also consider the Hunter #3 swan neck tool if you need a little more reach. I use these carbide tipped tools for all of my undercutting jobs.

If you don't want to go that route you might consider any number of different HSS scrapers in various swan neck configurations that are available in the catalogs and on-line.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Here are a couple of hooked scrapers I use for undercutting. These were both reground from other scraper profiles. The one on the bottom has a rare earth magnet so I can measure how deep I am when I am doing end grain hollowing.
    nickle scraper_0713(Small).JPG
    Last edited by Mike Peace; 11-09-2013 at 4:21 PM.
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford View Post
    Tom, I use the #1 Hunter swan neck tools for small items which I want to hollow or undercut. You could also consider the Hunter #3 swan neck tool if you need a little more reach. I use these carbide tipped tools for all of my undercutting jobs.
    I also would use a Hunter swan neck for most undercuts. For mildly undercut, most likely a bowl gouge.

For something the size of a potpourri, if I could not use a small bowl gouge, I might use either this
    106202-img.jpg the Ellsworth small hollowing tool, or
    100141-2-img.jpga hooked scraper (especially close to the opening) , or
    SmHollowTools-img.pngone of these (I have the middle one), or
    I also have a sorby gooseneck that I modified to take a hunter carbide.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I agree with all of the above. I also use the Easy Wood Tools swan neck hollower. Works great.

Thx --- good feedback info

Appreciate the timely and helpful ideas.

Tom

I use the Mini-Monster with the MM goose-neck cutter mounted on it. The working end looks very similar to Thom Sturgill's first pic.

"The best things in life are not things."