Thread: Replacement Power Cord for Craftsman Circular Saw

Replacement Power Cord for Craftsman Circular Saw

I managed to cut the cord on my older Craftsman circular saw, Model 315-108350. On the Sears website the cord for this model is listed an unavailable. Here is the picture:

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/PD_0009_315_999506-005

After chatting with a Sears service rep they directed me to this item and said it would work (only says Power Cord, $10.94):

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...=$customer_id$

At the time it was listed as in stock. After agreeing to pay $7.99 for shipping and being told it would take 10 days to arrive today, day 7, I get an e-mail that it’s backordered with no estimated available date.

Looking elsewhere online there are many replacement cords available for Skil, DeWalt, etc. Can I just pick one to use instead? What should I consider? I was thinking of trying to determine the gauge wire in the old cord.

After chatting for about 20 minutes to find a cord that was in stock and going to take 10 days, only to wait 7 and be told its backordered I’d rather find one elsewhere on my own and cancel the original order, instead of trying through Sears yet again.

Thanks!

I have to ask,what's so special about Sear's power cord?why didn't you go straight to Home Depot and buy an extension cord of proper gauge ,cut the end and connect it to your saw?

I agree - minus the "go to Home Depot" ANY cord will work on your saw - I do repairs for contractors and literally anything over 16 gauge works just fine- computer power supply cord, old Refridgerator cord, TV cord, etc--- or just put a new plug end on ?? The only cords I buy are the Milwaukee specific, and thats only when the "special end" is messed up. Best of luck to you
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hank dekeyser View Post
    I agree - minus the "go to Home Depot" ANY cord will work on your saw - I do repairs for contractors and literally anything over 16 gauge works just fine- computer power supply cord, old Refridgerator cord, TV cord, etc--- or just put a new plug end on ?? The only cords I buy are the Milwaukee specific, and thats only when the "special end" is messed up. Best of luck to you

That's why I always cut the cord off of anything electrical thing I'm getting rid of. Might need it some day.

I agree with the other replies. Been a GC for many years and as soon as a cord shows any sign of wear I swap it out for a minimum of a 25' extension cord. You wont believe how much you'll appreciate having a 25' cord (or longer if you desire) on any power tool you own.

With some tools like perhaps a drill or grinder that was used exclusively for bench use I keep the short cords (which you can also buy locally) but for nearly everything else we run long cords. The only things that can be a little tricky is if your strain relief is broken. Tracking them down locally can be a bit of a challenge at times but if you find them buy a couple as they will often work on multipe tools.

Thanks. I called and cancelled the order.

I ordered a cord for my PC saw off amazon and noticed that they mention the same cord is for pc, black and decker and craftsman saws.

Re-cut the rough "sawed-off" wires on the saw side of the cord, install a new plug, and run an extension cord.

I replaced the power cord on my old Craftsman circular saw about a year ago with a HD cord. No problem. Only reason I went to HD was it was close, and cheap. Will probably outlast me.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I have to ask,what's so special about Sear's power cord?why didn't you go straight to Home Depot and buy an extension cord of proper gauge ,cut the end and connect it to your saw?
    I agree, I do this often with the saws I restore, but then again they're in- shop tools, not used in the field, the jacket on them are about as thin as you can get, if used in the trades it might be wiser to get a heavier- duty cord like SJ or SJO, etc.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.