Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 mm thin wrench / gibs delta planner

10 mm thin wrench / gibs delta planner

Does anyone know where I can find a 10mm thin wrench to fit the gibs on a Delta DC-380 15" planer and 6" jointer, Bought these used didn't have the tool kits with them, went to some of the equipment parts sites, found them on the drawings but they did not have them listed for sale.

Peter

I would just buy a cheap wrench from Harbor Freight or one of the big box stores and grind it down to the desired thickness.

I do have a set from Craftsman.
    Jaromir

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Godlesky View Post
    I would just buy a cheap wrench from Harbor Freight or one of the big box stores and grind it down to the desired thickness.
    That's what I did.

The thin wrenches are known as "tappet" wrenches, named for their use in adjusting valve tappet clearances on engines. You might try shopping/searching for one by that name. Alternately, as Mark mentioned above, get a cheapo and break out the grinder... Best of luck, hope this helps....

That's a popular size for Japanese motorcycles, Check the M/C bone yards in your area. The manufacture's tool kits always have a 10mm thin wrench aboard.
    Mac

It depends a bit on how tight you like your gib screws, I won't say over tighten, but if you like to really tighten the screws then a ground down wrench will spread its jaws pretty quickly (even if you don't overheat it while grinding) and you'll end up stripping the heads. Euro tool makers make hardened thin wrenches, Hazet definitely and Stahlwille maybe. I am speaking from a commercial perspective though, with lots of knives being changed by several workers, maybe for infrequent use grinding down a cheap wrench every now and then would be fine.

I've always just ground down a standard wrench ,and for that purpose don't use the lowest grade. Just to make it last longer. As with so many things they don't want to give you any real info ,everything is "be careful". I was advised by an engineer to tighten from center out alternating sides. Then repeat ,again starting in center. They always seem to be looser coming back out. I think the head flexes some .When you remove a knife they always seem looser than I tightened them.I do clean everything well and check for burrs,etc. I float knives .Oiling knives,gibs,and head to better control knives with magnets when changing .

Here's an alternative if you want to buy one. PARK WRENCH . We use these at work and they last pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    Here's an alternative if you want to buy one. PARK WRENCH . We use these at work and they last pretty well.
    That's what I was going to suggest. Head to a well stocked Bicycle shop.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have the dc 380', got the tool kit with it from previous owner but the wrench gave up its ghost, I found a fairly thin wrench at an auto parts store and just had to thin it a little to fit. I don't believe the jaws ever spread, the nuts were always sufficiently tight. We do the same for the planers at work. The wrenches dont seem to last forever at that size, the gib screws are fairly hard. No need to go space shuttle on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest. Head to a well stocked Bicycle shop.
    Park makes great tools for pros or serious cyclists. If you live near a Performance Bicycles store, they have a house brand that is cheaper , called Spin Doctor.

Ask for a 10mm cone wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    .......... tighten from center out alternating sides. Then repeat ,again starting in center......
    Yep.

Also - make 2 passes around the head. First pass, just snug. 2d pass, tighten. The point being that you don't want to create unbalanced/unequal stresses on the head. Seems impossible with something that is a big honking mass of steel, but with the grooves cut in it, you want to use reasonable precautions.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Look for a set of "Ignition" wrenches.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Bingo. Bike Shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler