Thread: Christmas commission

Christmas commission

I got a commission to produce 3 of these for a friend to give as Christmas gifts. It's my first time to do pyrography beyond some simple practice items - no room for mistakes! Wood is Ash, rim is coated with black lacquer then silver Rub'n'Buff then wiped clean. Overall finish is Danish Oil and buffed. Size is 9 3/4" by 3/4".

Christmas platter-1.jpgChristmas platter-2.jpgChristmas platter-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

Very nice, Kelvin. I'd say with work that pretty, you could probably get away with a mistake or two and no-one would notice. Except maybe misspelling!

David

I really like it, but I'm going to offer one bit of constructive criticism, if you don't mind. Next time, I would consider using a wood with less distinctive grain. The deep grain in woods like Ash and Oak work great with the color, but fight with the pyrography. Excellent execution. Just my 2 cents.

Great job. You can make your own Rub n Buff by mixing mica powders (Pearl Ex) with paste wax. Much cheaper and not a dried out tube. There about twenty five various colors of Pearl Ex. Many are dichomic which can show two different colors if viewed from different perspectives. They will be most effective in the light when used with a black substrate.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very Nice. I really like the rim treatment!