Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byrd shelix cutterhead

Byrd shelix cutterhead

Hi, I like to install Byrd cutterhead in my 15" Powermatic planer. Who does have best price? Grizzly sells it for $619.Thank you.
    Jaromir

Are you sure that Grizz is selling genuine Byrd?

Grizzly sells both its Taiwan spiral cutter head and the Byrd Shelix cutter heads. Jaromir you will need a hydraulic press and a new set of bearings for starters on that swap.

Grizzly shows the Byrd for $595 at the moment for the PM 15" planer.

Another source is holbren.com, they offer 10% off with sawmillcreek code. Look up the code in the Deals and Discounts section. I wouldn't just go by price alone but also contents of the cutter head kit. Contact Holbren for more info. It's rare if ever that Grizzly sells anything namebrand at a lower price than competitors. So something tells me that more digging is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Grizzly sells both its Taiwan spiral cutter head and the Byrd Shelix cutter heads. Jaromir you will need a hydraulic press and a new set of bearings for starters on that swap.
    I bought my Byrd head from Grizzly. The price was decent and they have great customer support. You don't need a hydraulic press. I'm assuming that you suggested that to install the new bearings on the new cutterhead. A hydraulic press would be nice and easy, but you can get some PVC pipe, a wood block, and a mallet and tap your new bearings on just fine. That's what I did and everything works great.

Call Holbren, speak to Dan or Brian, They will meet the grizzly price ( they did in three occasions for me) and they can install the bearings for you on the cutterhead.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    and they can install the bearings for you on the cutterhead.
    Best way to go.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Bought my Byrd from Grizzly. Shopped around for at least a week or 2 and that's the cheapest I found. Loving mine.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fleck View Post
    I bought my Byrd head from Grizzly. The price was decent and they have great customer support. You don't need a hydraulic press. I'm assuming that you suggested that to install the new bearings on the new cutterhead. A hydraulic press would be nice and easy, but you can get some PVC pipe, a wood block, and a mallet and tap your new bearings on just fine. That's what I did and everything works great.
    Where did you bought bearings from?
    Jaromir

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fleck View Post
    Yes you do.

Yes you do.
    Nope, I did mine without a hydraulic press too. I put bearings on shafts all the time without a hydraulic press. Just the way Andrew mentioned. And I got my bearings from a local place. Took the old ones to them and they matched them up. Could also order them from the planer manufacturer. In your case Powermatic.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Nope, I did mine without a hydraulic press too. I put bearings on shafts all the time without a hydraulic press. Just the way Andrew mentioned. And I got my bearings from a local place. Took the old ones to them and they matched them up. Could also order them from the planer manufacturer. In your case Powermatic.
    Okay maybe the numerous examples of people who did need a hydraulic press to get the old bearing off were just flukes. lol I just swapped a Byrd into an 8" jointer, it too required a hydraulic press, both old bearings went BANG when they let loose.

About those bearings-

I've swapped out a head purchased from Byrd and installed on a 15" Grizzly 6 years or so then on a 12" Rigid lunchbox type planer from the company that makes them for Steele. One topic emphasized when I did the grizzly was be sure to buy the bearing from the maker of the head and have them press it on. This service also available for the next one I did with for the Rigid Planer. Main point was not to use third party sources for bearing if at all possible. I mostly wanted to say that it is a very doable project regardless of experience. Luck from Larry R

I just got quoted $795 for a PM 15s head from Holbren.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 11-16-2013 at 5:22 AM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Okay maybe the numerous examples of people who did need a hydraulic press to get the old bearing off were just flukes. lol I just swapped a Byrd into an 8" jointer, it too required a hydraulic press, both old bearings went BANG when they let loose.
    Count me as another who did NOT need a hydraulic press. used a bearing puller to remove the old bearings and heated the new bearings to install.