Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sealant to use?

Blog Entries

What sealant to use?

I need to seal some metal roof flashing that is inserted into a saw cut in concrete block wall where the roof meets the wall. What is the best sealant to use that is weather proof and that can survive long term exposure to the sun and elements. I need a sealant that will stick to the concrete block and to the metal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Silicone should do it. I think it comes in at least 25 year life.

Negative on silicone...use urethane or elastomeric sealant.

I just did a similar job for myself and used clear silicone. A solar dealer we know has been using it for many years to seal around pipes going through roofs and has found it hold up well in sunlight. I don't know that it is THE BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I just did a similar job for myself and used clear silicone.
    Use a colored silicone if you're going to paint over it. Paint doesn't stick well to silicone, but that defect is less noticeable with a solid color silicone. Clear silicone collects dirt and eventually looks nasty.

Yeah,it can get dirty. But in the case of flashing ,it usually doesn't get painted. I've been told that both the silicone and acrylic caulks last longer in clear because there are no pigments 'watering it down'.

Carpe Lignum

As a roofing contractor, I can tell you that what we would use is NP-1 or another one part Urethane caulking.

I'm making a note about the np1. For what I did I'm sure the silicone will work fine as it is below grade in gravel .retaining wall has the thick rubber glued on water proofing and it was coming unstuck at top so I flashed over it before installing pavers.

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    +1 I don't even mess with silicone outdoors anymore. That stuff works really well.

Blog Entries
    Where does one purchase NP-1? It looks like Lowes will order it by the case, but I won't need more than a tube or two.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

+1 on np1 or as an alternative quad will do well for many many years and stretch like a rubber band for ever

Blog Entries
    Np-1. Search Amazon

Lee, if you don't find it online you might call some concrete equipment suppliers or industrial supplier in your area. Our local fastenal was stocking it for a while if you have one near by itd be worth a call. If they don't have it I'm sure they'd point you in the right direction.

I have seen it at home depot once
    but I would be cautious of big box product and how long it has been on the shelf
    I would find a construction supply

http://susis.com/products/ ???
    Carpe Lignum