Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished Project.....Finally

Finished Project.....Finally

Folks, I started this oak buffet for the LOML about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, while I got the construction done, it turned too cold to finish it on my carport. Well....my wife was so impressed (she's easily impressed...Look who she married 37 years ago) she bought me a new ts and then had my new shop built. Since then I've been slowly but surely working on finishing the new shop......

Well 2 weeks ago her patience ran out.....Tuesday family members from Illinois, Indiana, Texas and Kentucky descend upon our humble abode to attend and celebrate the HS graduation ceremonies of our 2 granddaughters. SWMBO demanded that the buffet be finished and useable by Tuesday. Needless to say not a single sheet rock screw or seam has been mudded since. Just sand.....varnish....sand .....varnish......

A lot of firsts in this for me.....first piece of furniture.....first dove tails......first raised panels.......largest piece I've ever finished........

Sides, top, face frame, doors and drawer fronts are red oak. Shelves and back are oak plywood. Stained using Minwax Golden Oak and used Minwax Fast Drying Poly. Drawers are dovetailed.

I know there are a lot of imperfections in this but it was a learning experience. SWMBO is tickled pink......does any thing else matter?

That's me sweating in the first photograph. I don't remember if the sweat was caused by the work ....I had just finished it and brought it into the house or if the sweat was caused by my worry of possible outcomes if I didn't get it finished in time.......

Now I need to work on the digital photography capabilities!

Your comments are welcomed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-06-2005 at 10:17 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken--

Your wife picked a good one (you)...beautiful piece with a lovely finish.
    Great job.....what's next?
    PW

Nice job, Ken. The finish is great and any of your alleged imperfections are hidden well. With the new TS and new shop, I bet SWMBO is expecting the next project to take less than 2 years, though.

- Vaughn

Very Nice Ken, and a BIG Congratulations, on getting finished Just Under The Wire. With all those "Firsts" you had on this project, I think the LOML should maybe give you a Diploma Too.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Nice job, Ken! That is a good looking piece and should become a heirloom. Congratulations!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great looking buffet-- nice color and style. Shows craftsman work!
    Jerry

I think it's wonderful that your first "big" project was worthy of a living space. Mine certainly wasn't! (It was worthy of a dark corner in the garage) Congratulations Ken....It turned out great!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nice, I like the design. All of us see imperfections in our work that non woodworkers don't. I am always surprised when people can't see a mistake in my work that screams at me.
    Charlie Jones

Well sir, just as the other guys have said, I don't see the "imperfections" and I'll wager a fair amount of tool $$$, nobody else will either! I guess we really are most critical of our own work, which is a good thing, as we learn from it. I like the buffet; Clean lines, great attention to detail and, most importantly, it made the LOYL happy and THAT can go a long, long way! Very nicely done, Ken!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great looking piece Ken. I love it!

Corey

That looks sharp, Ken!!! Beautiful piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work Ken! Looks good to me. The sweat comes from both my friend (most of it is from the heat of the deadline ). The finish looks great as well...fine job!

Beautiful work, Ken! LOYL certainly has good taste!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I think you made the right choice to finish the piece. looks real good. Just consider it a stepping stone to bigger and better pieces, but I am sure you will need some additional tools for the new shop to make the process smoother

just start dropping hints at the party

best wishes
    lou

Ken,

Very excellent work!!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"