Thread: Snakewood turning question

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Snakewood turning question

I am usually on the Neanderthal forum, but have a Delta Midi lathe and like to turn tool handles, knobs and the like.
    I got a chunk of snake wood from a buddy: any help on a strategy for turning it would be appreciated. Regular tools? Speed? Can it be turned without too much trouble??
    The stuff is hard as flint; hopefully, it is possible.
    Thanks;
    Dave B

i have heard of snakewood, mostly i think out west, i have never had any, suppose to be pretty wood

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    suppose to be pretty wood
    Charlie: yes it is pretty --- verrrrry pretty. I will have to do some more research, it is darn hard, and slivers can be a problem.
    The pics are of a couple thin flat sawn pieces, and the one I am holding is almost 5/4 thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I haven't worked any, but: If you are going to drill, do so at slow speeds, and clear often. Any friction will make it crack. Be careful when sanding for the same reason. I have heard it is difficult to cut cleanly, as in it likes to chip and tear. I did see some good sized pieces at Gilmers in Portland, and they were in the 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it any way' section.

robo hippy

My snake wood experience is limited to pen blank sized pieces, mostly because of the price. It can be absolutely beautiful. Just be aware that it hisses a lot, and coils and strikes when you're not looking. Sorry, I couldn't resist. It seems to me that it is much like turning Ebony. Snake wood is like a very hard wax. It turns well, especially at higher speeds. Use very sharp tools, and be aware that you can have some tear out from very small catches. It is a little oily, and can gum up sandpaper easily, It takes a high polish, and oil finishes don't dry well on it. I use CA, lacquer, or shellac. Good luck!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Snakewood can be one of the most beautiful woods you'll find. However, there is a catch. It LOVES to split. If you drill it too fast, it will split. If your tools aren't sharp and heat builds up, it will split. If you sand too aggressively or for too long, it will split. If you look at it more with you left eye than with your right, it will split. And, sometimes it will split after your pen is assembled just because it gets mad at you and remembers the abuse you just put it through. I read some posts a few years ago about several techniques for successful turning of snakewood. I recall one post suggested boiling the blank before you drill it (I assume to make it temporarily more flexible). You might do a search on this forum and read some of the old posts. I have a pen that I use that was turned 5 years ago that has a split down one side. I still use it, because the wood is so beautiful. Good luck, and remember, it LOVES to split.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Snakewood can be one of the most beautiful woods you'll find. However, there is a catch. It LOVES to split. If you drill it too fast, it will split. If your tools aren't sharp and heat builds up, it will split. If you sand too aggressively or for too long, it will split. If you look at it more with you left eye than with your right, it will split. And, sometimes it will split after your pen is assembled just because it gets mad at you and remembers the abuse you just put it through. I read some posts a few years ago about several techniques for successful turning of snakewood. I recall one post suggested boiling the blank before you drill it (I assume to make it temporarily more flexible). You might do a search on this forum and read some of the old posts. I have a pen that I use that was turned 5 years ago that has a split down one side. I still use it, because the wood is so beautiful. Good luck, and remember, it LOVES to split.
    Eric: Thanks for the advice - by the way, do you think there might be the chance it will split?? Will give it a go then - thanks everyone for the warnings!!

easily one of the hardest, prettiest and most expensive woods in the world. might keep a drop of ca on anything that looks like a split. like the above it is chippy and brittle. you might google it up for giggles.

I have turnre 2 pen with the snakwood. Both of them split. I turned a lidded box out of mahogany and did a snakewood incert in the top. All of the projects has a CA finish, but the box is still intact. Good luck, it is a very nice wood when finished.