Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miter saw options...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    The reviews are mostly good on Amazon.
    I read through the negative reviews. The big gripe is that this one is the "Type III," which is not compatible with the laser and other accessories. Didn't see anything bad about accuracy, etc. It is the single compound saw.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Well, Doug...The search continues.

I unpacked the Bosch just now. It IS a beautiful saw. It slides smoothly, has a lot of cool bells and whistles (I really like that it goes to 60 degrees to the right). BUT it is just too deep for my space. It simply won't fit...

So, I'm going to keep my eyes open for the Bosch articulating arm version OR the Milwaukee 6950-20.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Larry, I want to upgrade. That is what I want to do. I bought my existing saw for $300 probably about 14 years ago. Does the old one still work? Yes. Does it run as smoothly as a new one? No. It has a bit of a kick when started, which sometimes moves the wood just a tad if you aren't holding it tightly. It has been a good saw. A new one is still $300. So, I would consider getting a new one to replace it. BUT, I'd like to upgrade (double bevel maybe, smoother motor, more solid maybe, maybe the new model has a laser or other kinks worked out, or more powerful motor...just some suggestions off hand). So, I'm looking for opinions on the upgraded models to see what people think of theirs.

Oddly enough, it seems most of the people answering have the same Dewalt 705 that I have now...
    Gotcha -- I didn't read your original post correctly. I have a very old Delta miter saw that has that same start-up jolt. Other than that it works well. One of these days it might move far enough up my "upgrade" list for replacement. BTW, nice catch on the Bosch saw.

Thanks...unfortunately, it doesn't "fit" in my shop. It is now on CL...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I picked up the 715 at HD for $199 during their Black Friday sale, less the 5% competitive discount for using a store card. It's pretty much as you described, Mike - solid, quite a kick and pretty well thought out. Came with a blade, but not much of a blade. I know you want an upgrade, but for me, this is an upgrade and it seems like a pretty good price. Thanks for the discussion.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

You are welcome, Doug. Glad you found something that worked for you. It worked for me for 14 years!

I found a brand new Bosch Glider on CL for a good price. So, I'm set, too!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    Glad you found one that fit your needs at a good price point. I have had my eye on the 12" dual bevel Hitachi, on sale at Lowe's for $199, usually $299. I have an older 10" Milwaukee non-bevel. Been a great saw. but a 12" would be an upgrade. Seldom need the bevel option though.

Mike, I have owned a Rigid, Makita, and Bosch 12" sliding compound miter saws in the last several years. The Rigid was the worst I have ever seen and was returned. Another just like it had similar problems. The Makita worked as the workhorse until attending the Woodworking Show when a Bosch slider was purchased. The Makita was great, but the Bosch cuts much better. Like you, biting the Festool apple proved too much for the budget. The Bosch mobile cart also works extremely well. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, Rich. I ended up finding a good deal on CL on a NEW Bosch Glider. So, I'm good to go!
    I drink, therefore I am.

10. Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what's the problem with Bosch glide version? Why don't you like it except for its weight and size of course?

Mikhail, there is nothing wrong with the glide version. That is what I ended up getting and am very happy with it. It can be used as a simple miter saw (with the glide mechanism locked), has the advantage of a larger cutting capacity like a slider, but doesn't take up much if any more room than a standard miter saw. If there is a "problem" with it, it is that it is a $700 saw. Luckily, I found one for a steel of a price (new in the box, but from a guy that didn't want/need it).
    I drink, therefore I am.

12. Mike, I'm glad you got my dream miter saw for a good price. I probably will never buy the saw for myself because I only build shelters for stray cats and don't have a shop to place it. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Blog Entries
    You said that your saw has a kick on startup. Would you be using a thin kerf blade? I tried out a saw once and thought it had a kick. When I put a nice furniture grade blade on it, the kick went away. The nicer blade was heavier and the soft start feature on the motor seemed to like it better. The saw went back for other reasons so I didn't investigate the kick any further.

My point is that you might fix the kick with a heavier blade.

Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of that, Roger. I suppose it is possible, but I don't think I had a thin kerf blade on the saw...though it is possible.

The DeWalt didn't have a soft start. That is kinda what lead to the kick. Of course, I no longer have the saw... And the new one works like a dream.
    I drink, therefore I am.