Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vehicles That Fit A Sheet Of Plywood???

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Again, let me stress that I don't need to able to close the hatch...just slide the sheets in flat and tie down the hatch.
    Please keep in mind that having the hatch open could be a safety issue if exhaust is drawn into your vehicle by various air flows while the engine is running and you are moving along. A small utility trailer was what I chose for this purpose and that also insures that the interior of my vehicle doesn't get damaged by materials.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Honda Odyssey (they advertise it). But, it is not an SUV.

Chevy 3/4 ton pickup fits 5 adults, can carry lots of sheets of plywood, AND has the capability to carry "some" wood, or "some" mulch (that is 3,600 lbs of mulch BTW).

DSCF0860 (Large).jpgSANY1824 - Copy.jpg
    I drink, therefore I am.

A Chevy Venture minivan is 2 inches too short to hold a sheet of plywood with the hatch closed. Maddening!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Chevy 3/4 ton pickup fits 5 adults, can carry lots of sheets of plywood, AND has the capability to carry "some" wood, or "some" mulch (that is 3,600 lbs of mulch BTW).

DSCF0860 (Large).jpgSANY1824 - Copy.jpg
    No room for a truck and no room for a trailer. Still looking...

Blog Entries
    image.jpgI find it's not the vehicle, but rather the innovation of the driver! (Note: I live on an island with 25mph speed limits and only had to go 3 miles.) I had them cut the ply to 3' width. I had stopped by HD and remembered I needed some plywood. I got to the car and remembered I had driven the "Battle Bug." Not one to admit defeat, I improvised.

Blog Entries
    I have a 2012 Honda Pilot and a sheet of plywood will just fit inside width wise laying flat, but it will hang out the back a bit.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have a 2012 Honda Pilot and a sheet of plywood will just fit inside width wise laying flat, but it will hang out the back a bit.
    Good to know! This is one of the cars I was looking at.

Another consideration is to get a trailer. I have a 5x8 with a ramp which will haul 2200#. It is great for plywood and everything else. A lot cheaper than buying a vehicle to hold plywood.

I do have a 2006 Grand Caravan which will hold a sheet laying flat.

Two words... ROOF RACK.

Screenshot_2013-11-19-20-53-22.jpg

Then you can carry _ANYTHING_

Super versital and easily stashed in the trunk until you need it. You could make it youself. I made one for a one time event this just some pink builders foam.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 11-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.

This is the exact reason that I cannot/will not give up my old 98 GMC Suburban....until it dies a complete death.
    I can lay 4 X 8 sheets in the back and not worry about scratching/screwing up our "good car" (Toyota).
    Short trips (8 - 10 miles to Big Box stores. Occasionally (once every few months) a trip to Wall Lumber (45 miles one way), but it is cheaper than shipping.

Jim

Hey Malcolm,

Haven't seen a Baja Bug in ages.

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    That was one criteria when I replaced my GMC Safari minivan (along with AWD and good towing capacity, 3rd row seating and the ability to fit in my garage). Ended up with a GMC Acadia. Sheets lay flat, about a foot sticks out, easy to bungee the hatch closed. Interesting that the same corporate platform is used with the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse, but those have a different rear hatch that is much narrower. I have hauled 8 sheets of 3/4" ply at a time. Wish they would have left another inch between the wheel wells, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    That was one criteria when I replaced my GMC Safari minivan (along with AWD and good towing capacity, 3rd row seating and the ability to fit in my garage). Ended up with a GMC Acadia. Sheets lay flat, about a foot sticks out, easy to bungee the hatch closed. Interesting that the same corporate platform is used with the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse, but those have a different rear hatch that is much narrower. I have hauled 8 sheets of 3/4" ply at a time. Wish they would have left another inch between the wheel wells, but it works.
    Thanks Ole. I can see is on a very short list that will do what we want it to do. So far, the Honda Pilot, Nissan Xterra and the Acadia will handle sheet goods, laying flat, fit in the garage and not drink gas like it's free.
    I know there are lots of options, but I have some pretty tight criteria. I need it to fit into my machine-filled garage, not guzzle gas and fit the sheets. I don't have the option of a second vehicle or a trailer, so those are out. As I said, I could rent a truck on demand, but I'd like to think, if I'm paying $20,000+ for a vehicle, I'd like it to do what I need it to do.

My 2012 Xterra will fit width wise, same as yours. If you're worried about gas mileage, the Pilot is probably a better bet. As you already know, the Xterra is a gas hog, but I believe the Pilot is available with the option for your cylinders to shut off to save gas. A coworker said he can get up to 30 in his new Pilot, I'm lucky to max out over 20.