Thread: Older sabresaw

Question Older sabresaw

Picked up a silver one the other day. Might be all metal. Has a bright orange & black circle with B&D in it. Runs fine, but only has a single speedDSCF0046.jpgDSCF0045.jpguses a small allen wrench to change the blades, and the wrench is taped to the plug end of the cord. Found in the same box as a Stanley "Cordovan" 9-1/2 block plane. Both were free. Saw seems to work ok, as long as the curves are gentle. Has a place to change out the brushes, too.

Decent saw? Any idea when it was made?

( combo square is a Handyman)

I have one of those that my grandfather gave me when he closed up his woodworking shop. It's ok and gets the job done, but I've found it to be underpowered. It also gets HOT with extended use.

Newer saber saws are genuinely better than older ones. New saws have better side support for the blade, so it doesn't bend or wander as much. They also have oscillating motion, so they cut faster. You can also get dust collection, or at least a blower to blow dust off the cut line. Try that old one next to a new one from Bosch or Festool, and you'll never use the old one again.

I have an old metal one with a barrel grip and a toggle switch for on and off. Like Jesse said, it gets very hot. It also has no power. It looks cool though.

This all metal one seems to be a bit of an up-grade from th green plastic 70s model I was using. At least the base shoe doesn't move around, on it's own. Price for either was aout right......$00.00. My kind of deal..