Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaper wire brush head? Does such a thing exist?

Peter, I looked up the Makita and see they now have a wire head. That will probably make a good unit out of it. The angle grinder with cup wheel is hard to beat for difficult to reach areas like door panels.
    That look has been popular in the Southwest forever. A lot of shops take worn out wide belt sanders and refit brush heads into them. I think you are on the right track with the shaper.
    joe

One thing I would suggest doing is reduce the speed before you ever install the wire wheel. Even when they are being spun within the rated rpm limit wire wheels "shed" some bristles.

I'm curious how this ultimately worked.... I have a big project where I need similar wire brushing. any feedback?

thanks,

---- dz

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    I'm curious how this ultimately worked.... I have a big project where I need similar wire brushing. any feedback?

thanks,

---- dz
    We got through the job with a wire wheel on a table saw, I found a wheel why a 5/8" arbor hole, used it like a dado, supplemented with a wire wheel on a mini grinder. Since I have changed jobs, present employer has a dynabrade tool with a wide wire wheel that does a much easier job of the same work. Never found a shaper head , still feel it could work on a shaper that can be slowed down sufficiently.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FUg8gQod3F8E0A
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Welcome back Peter.

peter, thanks. i ended up taking a 1/2" bolt, putting a couple of 6" wire wheels on it, and chucking it up in a 1/2" drill. it's not ideal, but works. the dynabrade looks far better and i'll order that for the remaining work.

-- dz

I've run a wire wheel on a lathe before .. about 1000 rpm.. Eye protection is a big deal.. I used face protection ..

yeah I'm using a face shield. a wire to the eye or through a vein is a bit of a nightmare. unfortunately my parts are too large to move around a fixed brush, so I bought the dynabrade. thanks again for the feedback.

Brushed finishes are popular in Europe. At Holz Handwerk this year there were many machines and heads on display. One company was selling the show displays the last day for a discount. I picked up the 80 grit nylon head for the shaper, about 100$. It is 30mm bore They did say they could make them in 1 1/4". Two companies had these. This one has a plastic body and was about 1/2 the price of the other company that had metal bodies. They both made wire heads but did not have any on display.

I have not used this much other than just running one pine and oak board. It did well in the pine but just a light texture on the oak. When I have time I will play around with different speeds and feed rates.

A while back I was in a shop putting a heavy brush on white oak with a Superbrush machine. Looked like it worked well. They were feeding very slow.
    wire brush head.jpg
    Brush head 1.jpg