Thread: Nova Gloat and Dueling Lathes

Cool Nova Gloat and Dueling Lathes

Well I just have to gloat a bit about my two recent sales, The first sale was my Second Turned Wase (which I posted a while back), and the second was this two piece walnut bowl
    ,Walnut Bowl.jpgWalnut Bowl 2.jpg
    Those sales have allowed me to purchase of this sleek, stylish beauty, a bit of an upgrade from my previous lathe, my dad's old Sears Craftsman 1970's lathe! Dualing Lathes.jpg

I originally built the table to fit my the old Craftsman 12" lathe, and after long deliberation decided to go with the Nova DVR, since it would fit on the same table, and I believed it allowed me a bit more bang for the buck, since I wouldn't have to purchase any legs, (and I wouldn't yet have to part with my dad's old Sears lathe).

Course the Nova was a bit taller, and required cutting about 3" off the legs to make it comfortable, and so since I had to do that, I decided to build a ballast box and filled it with concrete pave stones, brick, rocks and sand. Lathe Ballast.jpg Not certain what this tips the scale at but would guess close to 500 pounds, with all this weight, I am hoping that the wheels do not collapse now, but it still seems to roll smooth, albeit takes a bit more effort.

So if you happen to be in Fort Worth, stop by and perhaps we can try to play dueling lathes, Side View.JPG and see who can turn a bowl out faster - course I will be the one on my new NOVA!Turning Heaven.JPG

Nice bowl. Nice lathe.

You got $900 a piece for your bowl and vase? ;-). To buy the lathe.

The craftsman could be a buffing station ?

Actually sold the segmented piece for $1,650, the one in the picture for $250, and was originally $39 short from getting it to the house from Tools Plus ($1,939 with "Free Shipping" -or at least that's what the receipt said that I showed my wife )

Tools Plus then called later and said it was another $75 for a truck with a lift gate to get it to the house, and rather than have them throw it off the truck, figured I would pay it...

So I may have stretched the gloat slightly,

Ah.... 'tis way easier to ask forgivnes than getting permission .. of course , being forgiven can some times be costly as well .. Nice work BTW !!!
    John 3:16

So who put the 1st Cavalry Division sticker on the Craftsman lathe headstock?

I did, 8th Engineer Battalion, C Company, October 1987- January 1989. Man that starts to seem like a long time ago when you write it down! (Put a sticker on my Band Saw also). You?

Awesome!
    I just "acquired" a Nova as well!

Congrats on the Nova as well as the sales.

You will likely be looking to add 2-3 inches under each end of the lathe as it sits on the bench. This will allow the chips to be able to be cleared from within the ways. Once they get in there, it will build up and the banjo will start pushing them around.

Lloyd