Thread: 16/4 Walnut turning squares?

16/4 Walnut turning squares?

I have a requirement to build a pie crust tea table out of walnut. I have some book matched crotch walnut for the table top but am not having any luck finding any 16/4 in which to turn the center column. Called all statewide (Missouri) suppliers with no results over 12/3 slabs. Calling nationally, I have found a couple that carry 16/4 walnut but will only sell by the 8 foot length board which would require very high shipping cost. Does anyone know of a company that sells 4" turning squares? I would only need a piece at 30" long. I really would like to stay away from a glue up if at all possible.
    Thanks, Mark

These folks might be able to fill your order:
    http://www.gobywalnut.com/walnut-turning-stock.htm
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Have you tried Parkerville Wood Products? They have 16/4 Walnut on their price list, and they do cut to length for in store purchases, so may do so for orders. If you asked for a 3 foot section, I would think you would get ~6"x4"x36". Like most wood, once you go past 12/4 the price per bf really shoots up.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Thanks Brian and Eric,
    Yes, I did try both Goby and Hearnes with no luck. Both carry 16/4 but will not cut into a large slab. I have no problem paying $20/lb ft for the piece but can not put $700 plus into buying a whole board and having it shipped. I will give Parkerville a quick call and thanks for the lead! I am making a set of chairs with ball and claw feet go go with the table so I have plenty of 8/4 and 12/4 stock on hand.

I've purchased walnut spindle stock from Macbeath Hardwoods in Berkeley. I think they had 3 and 4 inch by 30, but it isn't listed on their website. You might give them a call.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

I would think that if you found a local mill, that also dries the wood, you would be able to get slabs that were cut in sequence so they would match. Other than that, you would have to get veneers and glue them to flat stock. Even if you get 16/4 slabs, they will not be equally dry through the slab, and when you cut them, the center ones will move a lot.

robo hippy

I have some Iowa Black Walnut that was milled about 20 years ago. Most of the large pieces have the pith in them, but I might be able to cut it out. I'm pretty sure there is some 16/4 left. If you think it might work for you, send me a pm. It is very dark, as you probably know. Like chocolate, and that's before the finish is applied.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

If Doug can't help you, you may want to visit Wood Barter. There may be some listed for sale or you can post what you are looking for. You can also offer a barter if you have wood someone else may want to swap.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

You could try Wineland Walnut in Chico, CA - their log yard is so big, it can be seen from space (I'm guessing, but try google earth. probably doesn't show on their website they don't show turning blanks, but I know they sell them. I doubt it would be a problem for them. George Nakashima bought a lot of walnut stock from them and claimed Scott knew more about milling walnut than anyone else around. Good people.

If doug can't help send me a PM also
    I have some that is about 10 yrs old
    will send photos if you wish
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

+1 what Jeffery Smith said. Scott mainly produces exhibition, AAA, AA etc. grade gunstock blanks that are sold worldwide. I have a stack of walnut that I purchased from him. He can custom cut a blank for you and has several types of walnut on hand. He is a walnut expert and will likely be able to help you.

I've just discovered these folks right outside Louisville, KY: http://www.bagdadlumber.com/

They mill local logs, kiln dry and do custom orders. They may be able to handle your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Price View Post
    I've just discovered these folks right outside Louisville, KY: http://www.bagdadlumber.com/

They mill local logs, kiln dry and do custom orders. They may be able to handle your needs.
    Ron Harris owns Bagdad Lumber - nice fellow. They process wood for me to my specs. His prices are very reasonable, but I don't know his shipping policies. It is about an hour drive for me.