Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design droppings.

I do the continuous grain thing on boxes but haven't really applied it to casework yet.

Realizing this isn't a "critique" thread and it's a very small snapshot, on the panels you show in the first post Brian, I might have flipped the right and left panels over to reduce reversing grain jointed with straight grain. Sometimes there's no choice though, unless you have an unlimited supply of boards to select from.

And speaking of cabinet shops, it urks me to no end to see kitchen cabinets (especially in oak) where merely flipping a frame piece or swapping with a neighbour would have made a so much more pleasing line.

Blog Entries
    Agreed, and I certainly do not mind a critique. It's difficult to avoid in 9' glue ups of character grade, so I generally join edges that have a majority of similar grain.

I came across this Arts and Crafts cabinet at Musee D'Orsay and it has stuck with me ever since. I think I spent over an hour looking at it in the museum while most people were looking at the famous Impressionism.

a9e6160848.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    How many catch them selves backing up or pausing during a movie to take a closer look at furniture or architectural features?

jtk
    Yep! Gosh I wish the camera guy would just pan a little more to the left. Did ya see the cutting board on the kitchen island at the goons mother house on the Following the other night?

Blog Entries
    Did ya see the cutting board on the kitchen island at the goons mother house on the Following the other night?
    Missed it.

I don't watch much TV.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    cabinet-with-wooden-doors-1.jpg

Jean Prouve. I've been looking at the wooden works by the French Modernists and Bauhaus as a bit of inspiration for my cabinet. I think I've figured out the door 'hardware' which will be ebony wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, what the approximate dimensions of your cabinet gonna be? And you said wall hanging right?

Blog Entries
    Yup, hanging it on a french cleat. It will be 74.5" wide, 16" tall and 18.5" depth.