Thread: More Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) questions

More Rotary Phase Converter (RPC) questions

This thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-advice-please and others convinced me to look at Phase Craft and the 10HP and 15 HP RPC controllers.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/phase-craft/...p2047675.l2562 .

In several threads here and at practical machinists I've found discussions where posters cite getting good motors in the 10hp and 15hp category for $20/HP ($200 to $300).

But I've found few posts discussing the QUALITY of the motors except one saying Delta motors are poor.

So some questions:
    Any recommendations on motor brand?

Where do you find the motors for $20/HP?
    I've called seven "Electric Motor" shops in my area that rebuild motors and only found one that sold used, and they had none in stock. On ebay it looks like I'd be paying $25 to $50/HP plus about $100 shipping.

Can I run a 15HP RPC off a 60 AMP circuit breaker? I've got 2 60 AMP breakers in my 400 amp panel and 4 30 AMP breakers.

Do any of you RPC wizards use "pony motors" (http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/rotary_converter/ ) for starting?
    starting in-rush current for a 20 horsepower three-phase motor running on single phase power is monstrous.
    thanks in advance.

/edit - for the safety police I do plan on running a 3 phase panel with big enough wires to allow 6 or more drops off the 3 phase panel.
    Last edited by george newbury; 12-30-2013 at 5:06 PM.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I found a few on CL. 15, 20, 25, 30 hp. All about $15-$20/ hp. Maryland, central Eastern seaboard area. The data plate on a 15 said 32amps. I don't know if that changes when you are only feeding 2 legs or not. 20 hp plate said 50 amps. Looks like you may be able to do pretty goos size on a 60 amp breaker.

Most junk yards have motor bins full of motors, which they will sell by the pound. Most three phase motors are "jerked off " a piece of machinery, to simply keep the line running. Replacement is cheaper than repair. On a three phase motor, the only moving parts are the armature and it's two bearings. If it it turns, then great. Pop open the case and see if it smells bad. If it doesn't, then most likely you have a winner. If bearings are shot, they are dirt cheap at Fastenal. You don't need the best bearings for this application.

George,

Rod Sheridan is in the electrical field if memory proves accurate. Will a 60 Amp service run a 15 HP motor? Yes, but I believe electrical code indicates the service has to be 250% of the rated HP for safety reasons. In that case, a 60 Amp service would be rated for 10 HP. See if Rod won't pipe in for the discussion on the correct amp service needed.