Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I find ONE MORE...

If I find ONE MORE...

dead deer on my property, I will ASSURE that NO ONE will get ANY deer for the rest of this season!!!!!

My neighbor emailed me the other day. Said that he traced a blood trail from near a deer stand in the adjacent property to him across the RR bed, across the creek, onto my property, and over towards my wood pile. I usually avoid walking the woods so that I don't disturb the bow hunters (I don't have a problem with them hunting...I just don't want to ruin their hunting day, OR get shot!). I thought I oughta take a looksee. Sure 'nuff, about 75 yards past my wood pile was a 4 point buck. Shot right in the spot where the deer's left thigh and belly meet. The exit wound was in his right buttocks. NICE SHOT!!!!

If I find ONE MORE DEAD DEER on my property, I will make a point of blaring loud music at the crack of dawn all over the perimeter of my property, bang on pots and pans, whatever it takes...every morning and every evening for the next month and a half so that none of these trigger happy, no go shot taking, don't bother to sight in their rifles, no practice shootin', I think I'm a sniper morons gets a remote shot at a deer!

Oh, and I am certainly armed when I walk my dogs this time of year!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Shot right in the spot where the deer's left thigh and belly meet. The exit wound was in his right buttocks. NICE SHOT!!!!

That's a bad shot, but at least people are hunting them. Where I am the deer are out of control, and I'm pretty sure that there is no way to get rid of them. You are not allowed by the authorities to even shoot an airsoft gun.

Yeah, welcome to suburbia, Steve... Out here, we don't have deer "problems". A healthy herd is 30-40 deer per square mile. Even with feeding the deer corn through the winter and my trail camera set up, I can tell (and confirmed by others in the area) that we have just about that.

Again, I'm not against hunting...I've done my fair share. Just make good shots, shoot on your OWN property, and process what you harvest.

Hey, go get your hunting license, Steve. Get all dressed up in camo (actually, where you live, you probably won't have to...), climb a tree in the back yard, with bowie knife in one hand and holding yourself steady with the other wait for a deer to walk under the tree. When he/she does, take 'em out old school...like Rambo would have done. Don't think there is any hand to hand combat legislation against hunting deer. Then again, in HC, you never know... Think Rouse ever foresaw that one?
    I drink, therefore I am.

dead deer on my property, I will ASSURE that NO ONE will get ANY deer for the rest of this season!!!!!
    I double dare you

You don't need to, but ok!

I've already had a run-in with a bow hunter while walking my dogs a few weeks back. I was on MY property when I hear, "Hey, what are you doing?!?!" I paused, did everything I could to not climb that tree and strangle the guy, then replied, "What are YOU doing?!?!?!" He said...in a very perturbed and loud voice, "I'm hunting on MY property, and you're walking up this hill!!!!". I said, "NO! I'm on my property! There is my marker. I was walking my path that loops around right here. My property line goes DIAGONALLY right in front of the tree you are in!" I called him a particular profanity repeatedly. He said, "Call me XXXX one more time! I'll come down outta this stand!" I said, "Well, then, come on down XXXXX!!!!" As he was coming down, he realized he was within feet of my property line, AND facing my property, AND that I was on MY property, and he cooled down.

Oh, did I mention that during the heated part of this, he actually began...just for a fleeting second...to draw back on his bow?!??!!?!! YEAH!

I am not armed whenever I walk my property during bow season. I DON'T walk the woods during rifle season.

BTW, this yahoo wasn't responsible for THIS dead deer. May have been for others, but not this one.

I've been here 10 years, and this is the fourth I've found. My neighbor has been here 9 years, and has yet to have a year when he has not found at least one dead deer on his property...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Not making excuses for the hunter making a bad shot, but sometimes, a strong deer can still run a while after being hit with a reasonably good shot. In my much younger years when I hunted with a larger party, we would NOT trail a wounded deer onto property that we didn't have permission to enter. Usually we secured permission to enter adjacent properties prior to the season starting as we knew where we would be hunting. And most land owners were very good about giving it. And occasionally we would have to wait to trail a deer until we could contact an owner to get permission. But, unfortunately, we did have to leave a couple over the years on properties we couldn't get in touch with the owner.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I am not armed whenever I walk my property during bow season. I DON'T walk the woods during rifle season.

BTW, this yahoo wasn't responsible for THIS dead deer. May have been for others, but not this one.

I've been here 10 years, and this is the fourth I've found. My neighbor has been here 9 years, and has yet to have a year when he has not found at least one dead deer on his property...
    Not armed? My guess is that those two chihuahuas would be waiting for the yahoo to twitch so that they could make a ground hog out of him.

I'm not a hunter, and I do not shoot very often, but it's amazing to me how poorly people, even "hunters" do shoot.

At one point I was concerned a little about what would happen if there were a breakdown in the food supply, for some reason. Not lying awake at night or anything, more of a "what if?" type of concern. Anyway, part of my solution was to learn to shoot. It does not take very long to shoot an airgun or 22 well enough that you could "eye shoot" squirrels, etc, but it does take time and commitment, and some study. My guess is that your guy did a great job of hitting the bass pro shop, getting a bow and getting camoed up, but he left out the personal commitment part. Think about it, a modern bow, and I have done archery, a little, - the modern bow shoots pretty strait, modern arrows are perfect, so the right and left aspect should not be a problem. Up in a tree, the drop would be harder, but there really is no excuse for butt shooting a deer. It's a disgrace to the hunter. Particularly since, I'm pretty sure, Maryland allows use of the cross bow during deer season.

In any case, your number of Lyme disease carriers has been reduced by one.

For me, I've been thinking about getting a harpoon- like a tuna harpoon, so that I could shoot deer in the backyard, and reel them in.

I've already had a run-in with a bow hunter while walking my dogs a few weeks back. I was on MY property when I hear, "Hey, what are you doing?!?!" I paused, did everything I could to not climb that tree and strangle the guy, then replied, "What are YOU doing?!?!?!" He said...in a very perturbed and loud voice, "I'm hunting on MY property, and you're walking up this hill!!!!". I said, "NO! I'm on my property! There is my marker. I was walking my path that loops around right here. My property line goes DIAGONALLY right in front of the tree you are in!" I called him a particular profanity repeatedly. He said, "Call me XXXX one more time! I'll come down outta this stand!" I said, "Well, then, come on down XXXXX!!!!" As he was coming down, he realized he was within feet of my property line, AND facing my property, AND that I was on MY property, and he cooled down.

Oh, did I mention that during the heated part of this, he actually began...just for a fleeting second...to draw back on his bow?!??!!?!! YEAH!

Should have reported him to the DNR for drawing his bow.. then the cops! Situation handled...

Brian, you are right. I, too, understand that deer don't necessarily drop after being hit...even with a good shot. The hunter has a strip of land about 100 feet wide by about 100 yards long. It is almost impossible for him to "drop" a deer on HIS property.

This deer (may or may not have actually been shot ON his property) ran from his property, and through two other properties before ending up on mine. And no, he does NOT have permission to enter my property. Only one hunter does. He hunts the property behind mine. He calls to let me know when he's out there (bow and rifle...not to ask permission, but out of courtesy and to make sure I don't ruin his hunting), he keeps in touch. IF he has to chase a deer onto my property, he leaves his gun at his stand. He offered that up... He realized that no one ever wants to see someone in camo walking through their woods...certainly not with a rifle!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Oops, I mistyped, Steve...I WASN'T armed that day...I most certainly definitely positively and resoundingly am NOW...EVERY time I walk the woods during bow season.

And I might have created a bit of confusion... The dead deer in question was from a rifle. Last weekend was junior day. Heard a million shots on Saturday morning! This must have been one of them. The bow hunter was 2-3 weeks ago...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hehe, yeah, he said/he said. I was waiting for him to come down, step foot on MY property, and assault me. I wouldn't have even raised a finger. I would have OWNED him... Again, nothing against hunters/hunting. Certainly against unbridled bravado and stupidity, though.
    I drink, therefore I am.

i would NEVER LEAVE MINE gun at the stand while I walk to find mine deer, this make it very easy for someone to steal the gun

And what's worse than a bad shot.... Hunter that's trigger happy but what he shot is to small so goes back to hunting....

Don't think there is any hand to hand combat legislation against hunting deer. Then again, in HC, you never know... Think Rouse ever foresaw that one?
    I wouldn't be so sure. The number of states where you can legally hunt with a spear is fairly limited (yes weird things to know 101). Most states have the rules defined more as "includes things matching these criteria" which tends to disallow by omission some of the more esoteric hunting methods.

meanwhile back in KY, since slingshots are prohibited as a hunting weapon , will catapults be allowed ?