Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natural edge ash crotch bowl

Bob, I always like seeing your bowls. This is a little different than your normal style. I love it and that grain is out of this world. It's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Bob, I always like seeing your bowls. This is a little different than your normal style. I love it and that grain is out of this world. It's a beauty!
    Thanks Curt. The wood has been enhanced quite a bit. The feather and grain started to pop when a brown dye was applied. The black wax make the open pores become much more evident and the black painted rim helps frame it all. If you notice a couple of the small inclusions and a crack (upper portion on the bottom pic) in the knot became filled with black wax and result more of a feature than imperfections in the wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Thanks Curt. The wood has been enhanced quite a bit. The feather and grain started to pop when a brown dye was applied. The black wax make the open pores become much more evident and the black painted rim helps frame it all. If you notice a couple of the small inclusions and a crack (on the upper portion of the picture of the bottom) in the knot became filled with black wax and result more of a feature than imperfections in the wood.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I'd be proud to have that in a place of honor in my home.
    Well done sir.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Great looking bowl with the extra dye and darkening wax. I notice that the ends were cut off. Was that the way you got the blank or lathe limitation? Great bowl.
    The limbs were just cut that way. Swing was not a problem on my 3520.

What a beautiful wood! And that's a stunning bowl!

6. Bob,
    The finish is intriguing. Lacquer to seal and then wax to fill the pores and add contrast and then remove the wax with 0000 wool and then lacquer. Does the wax in the pores not hinder lacquer adhesion?
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells Jacobson View Post
    Bob,
    The finish is intriguing. Lacquer to seal and then wax to fill the pores and add contrast and then remove the wax with 0000 wool and then lacquer. Does the wax in the pores not hinder lacquer adhesion?
    I've used lacquer over wax on over 25 bowls with no failures. The lacquer seems to melt into the wax. Shellac also works well over thin coatings of wax. I would not advice it over a heavy coating. I do let it cure for a day or so.