Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobsite tool tote ideas?

Jobsite tool tote ideas?

When helping others with projects on their homes, I often find myself grabbing power tools and just tossing them into the back of the van.

I'd like a better way to carry a few power tools (like a drill, reciprocating saw, whatever) and the other stuff I need (chisels, screw drivers, etc.).

Something that could double as something to sit/step on would be nice maybe. I might put wheels on the bottom for times when I'm working around the perimeter of a room (just to be able to push it around).

What do you guys use? Has anyone made anything from plans or your own design which works well?

At this point I'm thinking of making a crate with wheels on the bottom, a removable lid, some handles on the sides, and some way of adding dividers.

I use a bucket or two, with those bucket skirts for pockets inside and out. Tons of places have them.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I use one of these that works well and is light enough to not be ridiculous when full of tools.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...8#.UpJ2l8RQFJw
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 11-24-2013 at 4:59 PM.
    Richard

If you can get your hands on a copy of Jim Tolpin's The Toolbox Book is has a number of good ideas in it.

Richard, update your location now that you live in the WARM (not) south.

I use an older version of the Stanley 033023R.
    It's water resistant, and rock steady as a step stool.

The only quibble I have is that the handle can't be completely stowed - it sticks out some.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-033023...m/B000Q5KXY2/2

I think something like a wheeled suitcase would be useful, though you probably couldn't stand or sit on it. 41vamGn722L._SX342_.jpg

I've got B&D, Stanley, Craftsman and a few other wheeled tool carts - but - my "Go to" ones are 14 gallon plastic tubs I get from Walmart for about $4 or $5 each.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-8/24673338

They come I different colors so I can color code them - blue for plumbing & plumbing related, yellow for electrical, gray for general purpose (hammers fasteners, drills, saws, blades, etc).
    I can stack them three high to fit on a two wheeler.

A big plus for them also is that I can empty one out and use it for mixing drywall mud, thinset, mortar, etc or for pouring paint into when I'm using an airless.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have one of those Stanley 'workboxes', that have jaws on top like their workmates.

Thanks for all the ideas, you guys have given me a lot to think about. Some of the Stanley stuff that is plastic and strong and light-weight may be a better way to go than building something.

I've got a couple tool bags one big (heavy) and one smaller. I also make heavy use of Systainers even for non-green and black tools but that's a different budget point. The nice thing is that I can grab the tools I need, stack them together, and go.

Another cheap and easy option is those canvas tote bags like grocery stores, Target, etc. make available. You can't stand on them or realistically put dividers in, but they hold some weight.

Canvas totes here.I swipe wifeypoo's monogrammed LLBean's.By the time she misses them,they're too dirty to give them back.Been doing this for 20+ years.And they are the best.....college canvas totes(sold in their bookstores)are a close second.Everthing else just dosen't last in our experience.

A lot of power tools come with those canvas carry bags, and sets of tools usually come with fairly large bags. The best part is that they didn't cost you anything extra to get them. I just keep those and pull one out when I need to travel with tools.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

If you just want an open crate with wheels try Staples or some other office supply store. They hold a lot and fold up to almost nothing. They also fit into my small car trunk.