Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished up my steady rest

Finished up my steady rest

Well I finally finished up making my steady rest. I based mine on one of the angle iron rings from McMaster Carr. It is made to have four wheels or can have just three.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Nice work Sparky! Looks like it will definitely do the job! Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

3. Sparky,

That looks great! Well done.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Sparky, great looking steady. I made one just like it about a year ago and have used it extensively. I primarily use just the 3 wheels because of the laser on my Monster Hollowing system. I think you will be very pleased with this steady.
    Keep on Turnin'
    Steve

Nice steady but I like the dog too!

Looks Great! Looks like you're getting good use of it.

We really owe James Combes for making that plan available!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim, I like you signature grouping especially the one that says "Half-a-brain." For if it was for people like James Combes that are willing to share their wisdom and expertise, the "half-a-brain" that I do have would not be getting much work done at all
    Keep on Turnin'
    Steve

8. That looks pretty good there, Sparky! Nice work, and it reminds me a lot of my Jeff Nichols version........if yours performs nearly as well as his has, then you have a real winner on your hands!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    That looks pretty good there, Sparky! Nice work, and it reminds me a lot of my Jeff Nichols version........if yours performs nearly as well as his has, then you have a real winner on your hands!
    Thanks guys for the credit. And BTW Roger, the reason it resembles a Jeff Nichols rest is because his was the inspiration for mine and the associated plans so we need to thank Jeff as well.

JD Combs (without the "e" please)

"The best things in life are not things."

looks great
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Thanks all and James and Jeff especially! A lot of it was based on one I made for a smaller lathe a long time ago. The idea of using the angle iron ring did come from several I saw saw here. Guess they were James and Jeff's! Thanks guys! It does seem to work very well. Now I need to get busy turning all those vessels that I needed it for.
    Sparky Paessler

I just hate people who know how to weld. This a wood turning forum, wood, wood, wood.

Sigh, better now. Most excellent job.

JT

John, don't fret! I don't have a welder either, but I gave my mechanic a very nice turned box for his troubles. You might work out a similar deal with someone you know.

James COMBS, sorry about the typo. I was posting in a hurry and didn't check the spellling.

And a big thanks to Jeff Nichols for giving James the idea in the first place.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 11-26-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Sparky, I have one of Jeff's too, and if yours is half as good, and frankly the welding looks better, then you have a real winner there. My only complaint on mine is the weight as I get older. Hmmm, I have this overhead winch I've never really used.....
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

that looks great. now if i could only find the tutorial that james did i would build myself one. have looked and searched but cannot find it. can anyone help me out.
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."