Thread: 20 year old sanding belts don't work!

Angry 20 year old sanding belts don't work!

The shop I volunteer at just bought a sander that uses 4x24 belts. Coincidentally we had some belts way-way-way in the back of the supply closet that had been there "awhile". Ran through half a dozen belts in 5 minutes! All pulled apart at the seam. Guess that 20 year old adhesive loses its grip after awhile! Time to call Klingspor for some belts I guess!

Yep, I've had belts come apart that were much less than 20 years old. Maybe 2 years old.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think even the brand name belts like 3M have a shelf life because of the adhesive.

MK

On the other end of the spectrum I've read several threads where guys say they're good for about 2 years or so Personally I don't believe good belts go bad after a couple years, but 20…..that may be pushing it? I have plenty that are 3-5 years old and they're still holding up fine, but nothing more than say 10 years or so old. You may also want to give the machine a good once over to make sure there's nothing helping the belts over the edge

good luck,
    JeffD

Heck! I've got some 70 year old parts that don't work (any more).
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I had the same experience. I got a planer and jointer like 25 years ago and rarely used the belt sander after that. Pulled some 20 year old belts out and every one failed within a minute. These were premium industrial belts. I related the story to a friend who is a chemical engineer and he said that the adhesive was an organic and organic adhesives fails over time due to bacteria eating the glue. Sounds like a joke but he swears it's true.

To repair belts that have torn apart --you may want to look at the speed tape product offered by The Fast Cap company. you can also make smaller belts from larger belts with burns on them by splicing and cutting… works for me..no commercial interest in the company or product ..Having said that they really stand behind their products and its made in a country called USA…image that combination… No animals were injured during this message…..WWW.fastcap.com will get you there.