Thread: left side T/ support, frequent but temporary, ideas?

left side T/ support, frequent but temporary, ideas?

I'm looking for ideas to make a left side support for my table saw, just something that I would occasionally setup, but often enough that I don't want it to be borderline dependable or borderline repeatable. I'm picturing something like a piece of 2" or so conduit (waxed), 8 ft long, on some kind of support, positioned parallel to the blade, and anywhere from 2 ft to 5 ft to the left of the blade, depending on the length of the board I am cutting. This would would be primarily used for crosscutting a little piece off of a big piece, for example, cutting maybe four inches off the end of a 1x16x96 board, or off the end of a sheet of plywood.

Is the conduit idea sound, and if so, any ideas for the supports?

If the conduit idea is not sound, alternative suggestions?
    Last edited by Zane Harris; 11-26-2013 at 10:18 AM.

I'm not sure why you need a support that is 8', but I would just make something that clamped to some sawhorses. I have my jointer near enough to the left side of my tablesaw so I built a support that clamps to my jointer. I covered the top with laminate so my pieces slide smoothly over it. Conduit would work too.

I made a hinged table extension, it hinges off my router extension with 2 t tracks running 90 degrees to the saw blade. These tracks allowed me to make a fence that that cuts 32 to 52 inch goods. I use a portable roller stand for the support. When not in use I simply let it hang from the end of the extension or can remove it by pulling the hinge pins. Made from 3/4 plywood with 1/2 plywood backing and a formica top
    I can post a photo tomorrow if you would like to see it.

I clamp a 2X6 between the jaws of a 25 or 30 year old Woodmate sawhorse/workbench. I adjust the height of the 2X6 to be the same as my table.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Harris View Post
    I'm looking for ideas to make a left side support for my table saw, just something that I would occasionally setup, but often enough that I don't want it to be borderline dependable or borderline repeatable. I'm picturing something like a piece of 2" or so conduit (waxed), 8 ft long, on some kind of support, positioned parallel to the blade, and anywhere from 2 ft to 5 ft to the left of the blade, depending on the length of the board I am cutting. This would would be primarily used for crosscutting a little piece off of a big piece, for example, cutting maybe four inches off the end of a 1x16x96 board, or off the end of a sheet of plywood.

Is the conduit idea sound, and if so, any ideas for the supports?

If the conduit idea is not sound, alternative suggestions?
    Conduit is about as inexpensive as anything. As it is round there is little contact therefore minimal friction and it is fairly strong given its' weight. Build or buy a pair of adjustable height tripod stands and you're in business.

Alternatively do a search for HTC PM5083 HTC PortaMate Tri-Function Roller Stand
    Shown Here
    Click on the small images to see details of the 3-way roller function, or more accurately a single roller, a multi-direction roller and a stationary support.
    They also offer the multi-direction ball bearings in a 6 pack, in two different sizes if you want to build your own customized roller support system.
    Last edited by Jeff Erbele; 11-27-2013 at 4:16 AM.

I just use one of my two shop carts for left side or in feed support as I made them the same heigth as my tablesaw.

If you have a fence rail, it could be used for left support.
    leftSupport.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grimes View Post
    If you have a fence rail, it could be used for left support.
    leftSupport.jpg
    Now, that is a cool idea!

I prefer a miter saw or radial arm saw mounted in a long bench or tool stand to cut cross-cut narrow stock to length. For cuts that are wider than the miter saw like your plywood example, I use a circular saw with a straight edge. The straight edge I have is the EZ Smart Track Saw

http://www.eurekazone.com/tracksaw_systems_s/1953.htm

There are lots of saw guides of this type. I think I get a better cuts on large plywood pieces with the saw guide than with the table saw. The accuracy of the EZ guide is very good. I would say I get cuts within 1/32 in very easily. It is also pretty fast to set up.

You might also consider a bearing roller support stand like this one

http://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-fliptop-roller-stand

In the past, when none of the above options was available, I went with 2x6 clamped to some verticals clamped to a saw horse.

Still looking at the conduit approach to get me through my current projects, although the fence rail pic has given me some ideas for something more permanent down the road. I think I'm going to use a couple of microphone stands to hold the conduit; the mic clips should hold the conduit nicely, and I happen to always have mic stands sitting around the house...