Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! My new block plane's blade doesn't make contact with wood

Blog Entries
    The planes in those photos, as well as Shawn's, look like the blade is a lot lower (closer to the sole) when barely extended into the mouth opening. To answer your question about the sliding plate, when I remove it then I need to extend the blade about 1/4" to get the blade tip near the sole.
    This does sound like a manufacturing problem. Hopefully there isn't a problem returning it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sometimes there can be a bit of casting flash to the right or the left of a machined surface. If you have a 6" straight edge I'd set it against the bed in a few place and see if you can determine the problem. The side of the blade may work as well. I have one or two bench planes that the blades never seat against the bed without a jiggle or two, but fit fine once in correctly.

Measure the length of the adjustable mouth piece and then verify the length with Shawn's plane. You can then rule out(or in)whether or not the mouthpiece is the issue. Also, check with a straightedge layed across the Norris adjuster down to the mouth and see if there is full contact and that somehow the blade is getting lifted up from the edge of the mouth opening. Finally, check the thickness of the intersection of the sole/blade bed(where the blade exits the plane). It should be a knife edge.

If indeed the sole/bed intersection is not right, it might be that the sole is too thick an needs to be 'thinned'. That would certainly be a reason to take it back. I doubt they would make the change but rather replace it with a new one.
    Opening the mouth of the plane would have the drawback that was mentioned: an unsupported cutting edge. This is a bevel-up plane I m pretty sure.
    In general I don't like opening the mouth of a plane. The plane shouldn't reqiure it to work, and one can usually much more easily find a plane with a 'big mouth' than one with a small mouth that can be used where wood is tear-out prone.

Alfred

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Measure the length of the adjustable mouth piece and then verify the length with Shawn's plane. You can then rule out(or in)whether or not the mouthpiece is the issue. Also, check with a straightedge layed across the Norris adjuster down to the mouth and see if there is full contact and that somehow the blade is getting lifted up from the edge of the mouth opening. Finally, check the thickness of the intersection of the sole/blade bed(where the blade exits the plane). It should be a knife edge.

I can't help but wonder if this thread would have even made three pages if the OP's name had been Steven instead of Sara.

Send the thing back.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

3 pages about this???????? OF COURSE it's a bevel up plane. How could anyone think the frog is adjustable. Did you look at the pictures? Put the pin in the 2nd. hole. Of it still won't work,send it back and buy a better plane,like a LV or a LN.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-28-2013 at 9:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    I've seen three pages about far less important issues than helping someone unfamiliar with hand tools ;-) I too vote for defective. When it comes to new planes, I stick to Lee Valley for the basics. That is just a personal preference, there are several quality makers. I also have some older items that perform well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are FIVE pages on a machinist's forum about incorrect terms and bad spelling that machinists use. Surprising because usually if anyone mentions the constant poor spelling,they are labeled "spelling Nazis",and get a barrage of angry replies. The fact is,3/4 of them can't tell the difference between Vise and Vice,to and too,your and you're,etc.. One guy spells "do" as "doo". The list goes on forever. I'm glad I didn't start that thread!!

Does anyone here call an electric drill a "drill motor"? Anyone here say"lathing" when they mean "turning"? And,don't say lathing are the little strips of wood under plaster. That is LATH!!!

I know I make mistakes,but try to be reasonable about communications. For several years,I did not write at all,except to do time sheets and order stuff. That's when you start forgetting your schooling.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-28-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Send the thing back.
    Amen, Reverend.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    There are FIVE pages on a machinist's forum about incorrect terms and bad spelling that machinists use. Surprising because usually if anyone mentions the constant poor spelling,they are labeled "spelling Nazis",and get a barrage of angry replies. The fact is,3/4 of them can't tell the difference between Vise and Vice,to and too,your and you're,etc.. One guy spells "do" as "doo". The list goes on forever. I'm glad I didn't start that thread!!

Does anyone here call an electric drill a "drill motor"? Anyone here say"lathing" when they mean "turning"? And,don't say lathing are the little strips of wood under plaster. That is LATH!!!

I know I make mistakes,but try to be reasonable about communications. For several years,I did not write at all,except to do time sheets and order stuff. That's when you start forgetting your schooling.

I've always called a drill motor a drill motor (doesn't everyone?)! Since I spent time in the carpenter's trade union decades ago, I'm well aware of lathing.

Back to the OP, before sending it back, maybe there is someone nearby her, to take a quick look-see. Don't know if it has been mentioned, but it may be something as simple as the adjuster being assembled wrong.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

George,

You make valid points. Please do not see what follows as being a critique of your comments.

For educated people there isn't an excuse for sloppy communications. Often the offender will say, "well you know what I mean." When in reality their communication is so convoluted there is absolutely no way of recognizing what they are saying.

Since my spelling is not the greatest I try to refrain from castigating others for theirs. Also we have members here from all over the world and even here in the United States many use English as a second language.

On another forum one of the "spelling Nazis" used to deride me for my spelling. It was an incentive for me to improve. Now my spelling is usually better than his so payback is only fair and fun.

Sometimes I do use the term "drill motor." Picked it up from an ex Navy person. When in the shop and I want my wife to hand me the right one I will say, "please hand me the Makita." Otherwise it is the egg beater or brace.

I have to chuckle when vice is used instead of vise. I have given up many vices but seldom will I give up a vise.

Until recently my habit was to use effect for both affect and effect. Now I remember that one is a noun and one is a verb by knowing they are in reverse order alphabetically. (noun - verb / effect - affect)

Clear communication is important, but people who purposely hamper communication or intimidate others by intentionally selecting the most obtuse meaning of everything they hear are annoying to work with. Someone who is struggling to communicate or who is having difficulty with words can be guided to improvement. Of course there are some who wish to remain stupid. For the one who just wants to belittle others, there may be no cure.

That is another one of my errors, getting hear and here mixed up in written communications.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-28-2013 at 1:20 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    "Clear communication is important, but people who purposely hamper communication or intimidate others by intentionally selecting the most obtuse meaning of everything they hear are annoying to work with."

Jim, I can't hardly fail to disagree with you less!

(Now try to figure out what I meant by that!)
    ;>)
    Last edited by Steve Beadle; 11-28-2013 at 1:28 PM. Reason: correct typo

I didn't start or participate much at all in the 5 page thread I just referred to. My point was,there are even less useful threads than this 3 page one.

Could it be you received a 60 1/2 plane body but a 9 1/2 blade for the standard angle plane. The holes may be in different locations and the blade length my be different, anyway it should be returned. If that the problem there may be other packaging errors out there I think this thread is 3 pages long because its a interesting question.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

The original post made it sound like the blade was contacting the mouth plate before protruding. The pictures made it look to me like the mouth plate was too long and causing this. I agree if the plane was purchase new, the best thing would be to return it. I got a little lost by the discussion of adjusting the bedding if the problem is the mouth in front of the plane.

If the sliding mouth plate is of question, and not the blade bedding, the immediate test that comes to mind is to simply remove it, and see if the plane can function without it. If the plane sits on the bed properly, it shouldn't be an issue on stock wide enough.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice