Thread: beading tools

beading tools

I have sold several bowls etc for christmas presents so I have decided to treat myself and buy some dway beading tools. They have 5 sizes, starting at 1/8". I thought I might get 2 different sizes. I dont really think I want a 1/8" tool but was just wondering what sizes that other users find the most useful. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jared
    ps I plan on making my own handles for them rather than buying them.

First, you don't need handles for them. They are much easier to use as they come. The sizes will depend on your personal style. I have the two smaller sizes and use them a lot for beaded collars, and to embellish the bottom of turnings.

I have Dave's 1/8" tool and like it a lot. John is right about not "needing" a handle, but that didn't stop me from buying one of Doug Thompson's new 7" handles for it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I bought a "set" when there was four sizes, then bought the fifth when Dave brought it out.... I think I scandalized Dave a bit when I made wooden handles for all five (Dave is a member of the local club). I use the four large one much more often then the smaller one.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I use several of Daves beaders on a weekly basis. Although it does scare people...handles are of little use with these.

I also have several of Dave's beaders. I like to use the 1/16 for a little embellishment on bowl bottoms and other places where a very small bead is appropriate. I honed the burrs off that result from the factory sharpening process before first use. I also added a piece of shrink tubing very close to the tip of each tool to protect the flutes from tool rest damage. As others have mentioned, no handle is needed because there is very little overhang beyond the tool rest in use.

What is the angle of the grind on these Dway beader tools, and on the diamond point tool. I lent my set to friend and noticed I have 4 different angles on four tools. The large beader I have measures 75 degrees and seems the least altered. I looked at Dave's video and he does not give the number but states the angles of all of them can be the same and to not change it. Any advise would be appreciated !
    TB

I have the 1/8 and 1/4. I put them in a open end of one of my metal handles to use them, more to minimize vibration and give me better control than anything else. There is not a lot stress involved in using them so a very simple handle will do. I use a diamond hone to touch-up their sharpness on each use. You don't bother with a burr even though these are scrapers. Do watch Dave's videos on technique for using them, his approach does help you cut cleanly with them.

It's the number I am looking for....what angle? I did some experimenting and found 60 degrees works well. Anyone else have any input? Thank you.
    TB

I think mine are ground to 70 degrees. I had gotten under 70 and the 1/8 was not working as good as it did, ok now that it is closer to 70.