Thread: How to repair sewing machine top?

How to repair sewing machine top?

I hang out on the engravers section but I need help from the wood craftsman in repairing my mom's sewing machine top. She passed in 2000 and I've had her sewing machine since then, hoping to get it refinished, so I thought I would get some direction and see if I am up to doing it myself. The top needs serious repair and the drawer is missing on one side but I think I have all the pieces. I would probably strip and refinish all of the wood and clean and paint the wrought iron frame and peddle...all in time. First, I would like to tackle the repair to the top.

Sewing Machine 11-27-2013 by Randy Digby, on Flickr

Now, I'm not a wood worker, but I am handy with tools and have some such as bandsaw, sanders, router, etc. and I'm pretty good at following instructions. So, looking at the picture, how would I best tackle the job of replacing (I'm thinking it is beyond repair) the veneer top of the cabinet?
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Blog Entries
    You could try working some wood glue under the raised area through the split, Use a thin blade like a painters spatula to work the glue under the entire surface on both sides. Wet the wood and place a piece of wax paper over it. Then place a flat board or other flat material over the area and weight it down. The more weight the better. Leave it set for a few day so the glue and the wood dry out. Remove the weight, cover piece and wax paper. You should have a flat surface, but there may be a slight opening where the split was. You can then strip the finish off the surface and carefully sand. Don't get aggressive or you will sand through the veneer.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The spring from a broken tape measure is excellent for getting glue under loose veneer.

I can handle that. Would not have thought I could save it like that. I guess that with the finish completely worn off the top that I should strip and refinish all of the wood? If so, what would you suggest that I use to strip the existing finish? Also, would like a suggestion for wood filler to use on top and other nicked places.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Blog Entries
    Strip eaze or other commercial stripper should work, just don't get it too wet when cleaning off the stripper. Elmers makes a wood filler in a tube that comes in various colors to match. It also accepts some stain.E861_1.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

wood filler should be used only after the rest of the surface has been stained and the first coat of the top coat applied. Then you can color match the filler. While fillers may take some stain there are none that take stain the same as the surrounding wood.