Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate priced chisels

Intermediate priced chisels

Okay, for a college student who doesn't have deep pockets, which full set of intermediate chisels are the best?

Narex from Lee Valley or set of the new Stanley Sweethearts?

Blog Entries
    I don't know the Stanley but I have a 1\2 inch Narex mortise chisel and it's a very good tool. takes an edge with ease and holds it very very well at 30 degrees.

I've got about half a dozen Narex (the ones from Highland woodworking, light colored handles) works just fine me. I think for the price its hard to beat.

Hard to beat the Narex for value, if you find you don't like the hooped lump on the back you can always cut it off.

You might consider a smaller one or two as well. A 3/16" or 1/8" can be handy to have around for getting into tight spots.

Don't know anything about the Narex but I like my Stanley Sweethearts.

set of chisels? what's that?

mine are mostly vintage, individually acquired for a dollar or two each.

the downside is it's taken me decades to get this many, but i now have dozens.

I also got lots of vintage chisels for a couple of bucks each. However, it is hard to beat the low cost/high value Narex offers. Another to consider would be the Buck chisels, as sold by Craftsmen Studio (not the borg Bucks).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

The set of Narex chisels from Lee Valley is a fantastic bargain. They are very nice chisels and take and keep an edge well. The only issue might be the handles, but...we are woodworkers. Take a rasp to them and make them comfortable.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Not having handled either set my only feeling on these comes from what others have said.

Narex have generally been well praised. I do not recall many complaints other than how the handles feel in new owner's hands. This is why many folks like to make their own handles.

The Stanley set has also had some good reviews. More often there are a few complaints about the edges not being quite right or time needed to get the backs flat.

There are a few differences to consider.

First is the price. My information comes from High Land Woodworking's web site. The 8 piece Stanley set looks to be about $130 more than the 6 piece Narex set.

Second the Narex chisels at HLW are in metric sizes. Lee Valley has them listed in what looks to be inch sizes also for less than the Stanley chisel for a larger set.

Also, the Stanley set does have a 1/8" size listed if that is important to you. The biggest chisel in the Stanley set is 1-1/4" where the Narex includes a 1-1/2" and a 2". I like having a couple chisels wider than an inch, but my 2" chisel gets a lot of rest between uses. In my case I do a lot of joinery with 2X4s and other construction lumber. For many folks, the smaller sizes are more useful.

Finally, I prefer socket chisels when it comes time to re-handle. With old socket chisels one has to be aware that some folks would beat directly on the socket without a handle. Not a wise move.

My set(s) of chisels are a fairly eclectic gathering. There isn't a complete set of any one brand. They all get used occasionally, including the junkers. Some of what were considered junkers have actually proven themselves worthy when used in situations where my "better" chisels were being "protected" from the dirty work.

If you are like me, your first set will not be your last set.

In looking forward on this, you will likely be able to create great work using either set. You will also get the experience that will help to guide you in the future when purchasing your next set for satisfying your needs and desires in the future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Your question implies you can afford to buy a set of Stanley's (8 - say for $130). Don't go for it and instead get two sets of Narex (7 + 7= 14) for almost the same money (http://tinyurl.com/k334j2y) and here is why:

1) Keep the first as is and use it for paring
    2) Regrind the second set to 30 degrees and use it for chopping.

One day when (not if) your skills (and pocket) allow you to buy a premium set, financially you wouldn't be worse off with your decision to buy two sets of Narex now.

Of course, if your preference is a socket type of chisel, you wouldn't want the Narex, but then you wouldn't have posed your question in the first place, would you?

Simon

I like my Stanley Sweethearts. The 8 piece set is probably a little much. I have it, and while it is great, at times I think I could easily get away with a 4 piece set. Eh well.

The backs are a little concave; depending on who you talk to, this isn't an issue as if you want a flat to rest upon, you'd only get the first 1" on the back flat. I tried flattening mine and got up to about the 3/4 chisel before I said forget it. Thus far, the slightly concave back hasn't given me any fits.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

For an intermediate set of bench chisels, you may also want to consider the Buck Bros. from Craftsman Studio (http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/C!00730.htm) or the Ashley Iles from Tools For Working Wood (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/s...m/IL-100-40.XX). The Buck Bros. are a good basic bench chisel and in my opinion are a good value, the Ashley Iles steel is a little harder and hold an edge just a bit better yet sharpen easily.

Chris & Paul,

When you guys cut the handles down did ya simply cut at the top loop and reshape or cut the loop off and reshape? Did ya put another loop back on? If not how has the handle held up to wacking? Got pictures?

I have no experience of either brand you mention. But a couple things to consider: you don't really need a set, good vintage chisels are cheap, and as important as having the chisels is having a way to sharpen them.

There are also the Lee-Valley bench chisels which look decent. If you do go the Narex route and end up loving the brand, then you can add parers, mortised and skews.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"