Thread: Bandsaw box complete

Bandsaw box complete

LOML and I have an anniversary coming up next week. I made this bandsaw box for her out of zebrawood. The pattern was "surf" from Lois Ventura's book. Finish is two coats of Watco Danish Oil, four coats of sprayed Bullseye Shellac, rub out with 0000 steel wool and wax. The box was really finished with a gold chain for her to find upon opening it.

I was tempted to try my hand at these boxes after seeing some that others had posted. Thanks for the inspiration. I think these will make nice Christmas gifts.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job David, love the zebrawood.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

WoW, my eyeballs are in a knot trying to figure out the interior space. Perhaps you can send it to me for closer examination. Traffic piece!
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Nice job David. The zebrawood is beautiful. Was it hard to work with?
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

David.....Beautiful box! I love that zebra wood! The LOYL is going to be impressed!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Really special ! Wonderful work!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Super job

That is a wonderful! I bet she is more excited about the box than the "other present"

Thanks for posting

Jay

Very cool, beautifully done, and yet another reason I wish I had a bigger bandsaw. I was just thinking today I'd not seen anything built with zebrawood (although I love looking at it at the hardwood store), and here you go posting these pictures.

Thanks for sharing -

- Vaughn

Nice. Makes me want to do one
    Charlie Jones

David,

Nice box. I have not made bandsaw boxes for many years, since probably a year after FWW came out with an article on them. They were fun, and much appreciated as gifts. (I did not fill them with gold, as I recall.)

As to the Zebrawood, did you find the smell of the dust to be annoying? I hate the stuff. It does not make me ill, as some tropicals and walnut do to some others, but the smell I find to be so unpleasant that I strongly resist the temptation to give it a go.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thanks for the comments.

To answer a couple of questions:
    1) Zebrawood was not difficult to work with. It bandsawed and sanded similar to walnut.
    2) The smell of the dust during machining was a little strong - sort of a burnt smell - of course, that could have been my impatience while bandsawing. I used dust collection on the bandsaw and wore a respirator while sanding so I can't give a good answer on the dust irritation issue.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayes
    Zebrawood was not difficult to work with. It bandsawed and sanded similar to walnut.
    My one experience with it was making a smallish (9x12 glass size) picture frame. Planer: no problem. Saw: no problem. Router: serious issues, almost a whole subscription. Luckily it was on the back side (the rabbitts for the glass and backing) that I had the most trouble. The light colored part is way softer than the dark and would tear out if you breathed on it.

The frame came out ok, but I was tempted to use the rest of that wood in the fireplace.

Excellent and butiful job.

Norm
    Norm