Thread: Need help from pen turner

Need help from pen turner

I am not a pen turner, but bought a letter opener kit from Penn State Industries. I did not realize I would need a manderal for this project. I looked at their online catalogue and am confused as to which manderel to purchase. My lathe has #2 morse taper. Will I need a spacer kit also? Your advice would be appreciated.

You will need the standard pen mandrel and usually a 7mm drill bit , also depending on the kit you will need the appropriate bushing set for you kit or turn down to size using a caliper or micrometer to measure as you go. For the bushings look in the instruction sheet or product description,they are usually listed in either of those places.
    You could turn it between centers if you have a dead center for the headstock and use your live center in your tailstock and turn using the caliper or micrometer to get the size needed if this is a one time project and not want to purchase additional tools

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Cross; 11-30-2013 at 8:01 AM.

Most places that sell kits sell adjustable mandrels so you don't need "spacers." If you do, a chunk of wood with a hold drilled through it works great as a spacer. The dead center and caliper idea works great if you have the mindset of a machinist, or are very good at micro-detail, but I would lean towards bushings. They are cheap, will last forever, and make the job so much quicker.

In addition to the bushings required for the letter opener, buy a couple sets of slimline bushings to take up the extra space on the mandrel.

If you don't plan on turning anything else with a mandrel I wouldn't buy one. Just turn it between centers. Check the ends to make them fit the fittings.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    If you don't plan on turning anything else with a mandrel I wouldn't buy one. Just turn it between centers. Check the ends to make them fit the fittings.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Agree with turn between centers if possible.

Also, on the chance you may have a collet chuck, you could just buy a mandrel rod with nut and the bushings for your kit.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to buy a basic manderal from PSI. I may decide to turn some pens in the future. It would be another avenue of turning I have not yet explored.