Thread: homemade jamieson hollowing tool

homemade jamieson hollowing tool

Are there any plans out there for making the jamieson captured system? I know Lyle has some info on his site but i am looking
    for a more detailed plan. I have a neighbor that is a good welder if i can talk him into it. Thanks,Byron

Actually if you read through his directions of building the system it's all there. I built mine form this link off of his website along with looking at the pic. very easy to do.

https://www.lylejamieson.com/tools/tool_howto.asp

John

I built mine from the web-site information. Use mine all of the time. Love it!

I should also mention that in addition to the Jamieson system that I built I also purchased the Vicmark articulated hollower, I now only use the homebuilt Jamieson system as I much prefer it since I am able to have better control.

hollowing tool

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    I built mine from the web-site information. Use mine all of the time. Love it!
    Dwight,
    What did you use for the laser sys and how is it attached to the lathe. I have a 1642 jet Byron

I am not sure if this is allowed but here is a link to plans for a clone of the jamieson rig.

http://www.easttexaswoodturners.org/...ring%20rig.pdf

I am also wondering where to purchase a laser for this system.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

I had been using a laser pointer picked up at an office supply store before moving. After the move I could not find my pointer, but found some "Pet Teaser" laser pointers at Ace Hardware for $1.99 each that work fairly well. The laser beam is not as pinpoint as the better pointers, but the pointer is smaller and lighter with less bounce so a trade off. I think that it somewhat depends on the accuracy you need. I would also like to get a better laser so will be watching for answers.

Quote Originally Posted by byron constantine View Post
    Dwight,
    What did you use for the laser sys and how is it attached to the lathe. I have a 1642 jet Byron
    Is this two questions, or do you think the laser is attached to the lathe?

I get my lazers form ebay. Search ebay for 1x 650nm 5mW Red Dot Focusable Lens Laser Module Lazer Diode 3V DC

At about $5 each (shipping included) you woun't beat the price. Of course you will need to add a switch and a battery holder from Radio Shack. I have several (bought the 6 pack) that I use for several other purposes. One of the most useful is a bowl bottom depth indicator. Sort of a modified Jamieson rig that sits on a single post on a plywood foot that sits on the lathe bed.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-02-2013 at 6:00 AM.

I used plans for the laser set up from the AAW Journal. Spring 2003. Article by Bruce Hoover " Build Your Own Square-Aim Laser. If you are a member of the AAW you can search the Journals. (I tried to upload photo's-couldn't make it happen.) I'll see if my daughter came show me how.
    In my opinion, the weakest part of all of the hollowing are the lasers. I have used the business pointers and lasers that attach to pistols and all fail quickly due to the constant vibration they are subjected to. I also use the same type of laser that Paul Gilbert suggests in the previous post. These are "potted" so the tiny wires that attach to the actual laser don't break. You can also focus the dot. I have moved the power supply to a box with switch and two double AA batteries. This gives longer battery life.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Is this two questions, or do you think the laser is attached to the lathe?
    Richard,
    I meant is how is the laser attached to the tool. sorry. Byron

This should answer your question about attachment of the laser to the hollowing rig. Don't know why the picture came out upside down. Hope you stil get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

David DeCristoforo did a "retrofit" on the laser of his Monster system and eliminated the battery pack setup - going straight to 120V via a transformer. The thread is here, and might be of interest to you, as he includes a parts listing.