Thread: Lathe recommendations, Part II

Lathe recommendations, Part II

Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post. I'm down to two -- the Nova DVR XP and the Nova 1624-44. The advantages of the XP, as I read the specs, are the EVS and the larger HP motor. So ... how much difference does 1/4 HP make in the real world? Are speed changes relatively easy on the 1624? There's about a $600 difference in play here. If changing speeds on the 1624 is a real PITA and the extra 1/4 HP is significant, I will go for the DVR. If not, I'll use the difference for some other toys.

Larry

have not turned on either nova lathe, but EVS is the way to go, even if you still have some belt changes

I have only turned on my variable speed Delta. That feature is very important to me so that I can increase speed incrementally while rough turning. I personally would only upgrade to another variable speed. Especially since we are talking about your money .
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 12-01-2013 at 3:34 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

EVS is the way to go, you will enjoy it more and if you decide to sell it will pretty much pay for itself.
    Fred

I turned for 30 something years before I bought a variable speed, I bought a lathe with the variable speed control, I still use my old lathe without EVS. In my opinion it is nice, but more tools would have been better.

I had a 1624 and have turned on a DVR. If you can swing it, go for the DVR. Both are good lathes, but the ability to have speeds between the fixed rpms of the pullys makes the DVR a better lathe.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

I have the Nova 1624-44 and changing the speeds just takes a few seconds after you get the hang of it.

Still have to back to a couple points...what did you find in the search function, and since the groups in your area failed you in epic fashion, have you sought others in your area with lathes you'd like to try?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots