Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best power to ease-of-use CAD program that is real cheap or free ?

This is a harpsichord plan CAD file drawn in DeltaCad (click to enlarge).

harpsichord plan.jpg

While this can be done in Sketchup, by the time you've entered all the details (stings, tuning pins, etc.) I guarantee that Sketchup will be moving like molasses on chilly morning.

On the other hand, here's a Sketchup version of the instrument (without strings, pins, etc.) No CAD program can do this.

tracton sketchupfull2.jpg

or this!

tracton sketchup.jpg

At least for me, both CAD and SketchUp are must haves.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

You can draw in 2-D with SketchUP, too, if so desired. I can't think of a reason I'd want to, but you can. I'm with Matt; many people can't grasp what they are looking at when I show them a 2D drawing, but nearly everyone instantly understands what a 3D drawing represents. Beyond that, it's easier for me to solve design and build problems in 3D. I used to use AutoCad at work, but I'd be using SketchUp there too now if I were still there. Happily, all my drawings now are for me.

John

There is no question that Sketchup has achieved some phenominal success
    in the marketplace but I think there were (are) several cheaper 3D and
    (maybe 2d) full function CAD programs out there. I say that because
    when I have visited other CAD specific forums the serious CAD pros often
    are laughing at SU's limited (in comparison) capabilities. Sure the free version
    kicks everyone's butt however I pretty much insist on being able to print
    my stuff in whatever scale and on whatever paper I want to print on. That
    pushes the program into the $650 price range and not free.
    I think what happened is similar to what happened in the Browser when the
    behemoth Microsoft decided to give Explorer away for free when Netscape
    browser was ten times better. But no company can stay in business when
    a behemoth decides to purchase all the market share by putting the competition
    out of business or removing any business profit incentive to new entries into
    the marketplace. My main reason for asking for futher review is I am planning
    a rather complex project and dont want to spend hundreds of hours in SU
    and find I must start over in another software technology fm scratch.

So far I have just scratched the surface but right now I am looking at
    Design Cad 3d-MAX based upon its top rating as consumer level 3d CAD product
    in a comparison with nine other packages. Previous to my finding the review,
    I had heard a lot about Alibre 3D CAD.
    ( I dont even know what to think about Sketchup not being included in the
    3D CAD review unless like someone here said SU something to the effect
    was not a real CAD program. ? ? ? )

SketchUp has never been a CAD program. It wasn't designed to be one. That said, it is extremely capable and for woodworkers (except maybe Ernie ) up to the task. Heck, I know architects who are using nothing but SketchUp and LayOut to do everything from new house proposals to full packages for permitting and construction documentation for high end residential and commercial projects. But, if $650 is out of your league and the free version doesn't offer what you need, I guess there's nothing more to say about it.

It sounds like you have your mind made up. As long as it does what you need it to do, I'd say go for it.

I haven't looked at Design Cad 3d-Max for awhile. I had a look at their website. Hmmm...

Nice furniture drawings.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-02-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Scott,

If you understand the difference between SU and what a true CAD package does for you (and still want CAD), then I suggest DoubleCAD XT. Free, on the same line (or better) than AutoCAD LT (since it was designed as a competitor), and reads/writes all of the common formats.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Never could get the hang of Sketchup but DesignCad 3d Max has been a really nice program to use. I can render a client drawing
    in a few minutes and if I haven't used it for a while I can still get back to speed quickly

Joe, it's good you've come along and posted. Scott's now got a "go to guy" when he has questions. Could you share some examples of your drawings that you show to clients?

Dave Richards said:
    "SketchUp has never been a CAD program. It wasn't designed to be one."

Well sorry but I dont understand that. Please explain. What the heck is Sketchup and what is the difference between Sketchup and CAD ?
    What was Sketchup designed to be ? ... ( if not CAD ? )

I got my first clue to this when visiting "CAD" program support forums
    and those guys were laughing at Sketchup and I could not understand why
    since here everyone seems to love it ? ? ?

My only experience is with freehand drawing/paint programs
    and an Architectural design program where all the elements were building
    components such as windows, doors, walls, stairs etc.

The original idea for SketchUp came from an architect who wanted a digital version of sketching on a napkin. He wanted to be able to sit down with a client and draw while they talked. He paid draftspeople to do the AutoCAD work and didn't see the need for that kind of drawing when he was working at the design stage.

That said, SketchUp has grown dramatically. It is being used in all sorts of fields to do what used to be the realm of CAD programs. I know architects who use SketchUp and LayOut for doing everything from initial proposal sketches to drawings for permitting and final construction documents. I know a guy who runs a large firm that designs material handling facilities. His company uses SketchUp and LayOut for nearly all of their design and construction documentation. SketchUp is being used for 3D printing, product design, landscape design, interior design more germain to this forum, furniture design.

To be blunt, those guys laughing at SketchUp or those who use it are uninformed. It doesn't take much looking to find places where SketchUp is being used. Just do a Google image search for some particular piece of furniture and you're likely to run across sketchUp drawings before you see something drawn in AutoCAD.

May I ask you a question now? Do you like the appearance of those illustrations of furniture from Design CAD 3D-Max? Those came from their website and are what they are using to sell their product. Would you be satisfied showing illustrations like that to a client? What if a chair drawing like that was put next to one like this?

Which one do you suppose the client would prefer to see?

What about that table or this one?

And both of these pieces could be drawn using the free version of SketchUp. There was nothing here that requires the pro version.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-05-2013 at 12:14 PM.

I think we need to remind ourselves that "CAD" stands for "Computer Aided Design". I think Sketchup qualifies for that definition. CAD doesn't just mean drawing lines...

And plus one on it's abilities. It's kicked butt in certain situations for me. I drew up parts for convex and concave shaped hoods with it, and easily imported those into our $10K cabinet design software, when our $10K CAD/CAM software (AlphaCAM) wouldn't do it correctly.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

The attached image is what I am gearing up for. The hull is basically
    a wooden boat. The is the only plans drawn seaplane in history
    that can be flown in the USA without a pilots license or FAA
    registration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is another of those life situations where you dont know
    what you dont know.

I would sort of like to hear from a "real" CAD guy what
    all the things are that Sketchup cannot do that "real" CAD
    programs can do.

And yea, without question, the Sketchup chairs and tables
    are prettier but I am in it more for the function and not
    to be pretty, but thanks for pointing that out.

As I said before, Scott, I make full-blown, detailed plans all the time from my SketchUp models. The good looking drawings are done for clients. Well, so are the plans but the use is different. It might be easier to define exactly what you want to do and see if it can be done in SketchUp. If you ask those "CAD guys" like the ones who laugh at SketchUp, you won't get accurate information. Ask someone who knows and is proficient with SketchUp.

That airplane looks like fun. You could definitely draw that in SketchUp.

What's the power plant?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-05-2013 at 1:25 PM.

I'm a big fan of SketchUp as well as an experienced "CAD" guy. Before I published any books or magazine articles I prepared shop drawings for large-scale, high-end cabinet and millwork projects. My first books of measured drawings were all done in AutoCAD. I currently do most of the illustrations for Popular Woodworking Magazine, and all of that work begins as SketchUp models. I have both SketchUp and AutoCAD on my computer and rarely use AutoCAD. To design something and build successfully from that design there are two things you need to do – solve the problem then present the information. When I worked in CAD, I always had to consider the presentation early on. In SketchUp, I concentrate on solving the problem by building a model, and then I can extract as much 2D information as I want, in any form I want. It's faster, easier to make changes and because all the 2D drawings come from the same model I don't have to worry about whether or not all the views agree with each other. Compared to the price of traditional CAD software, SketchUp Pro is a real bargain. The free version can do all the modeling tasks to make furniture and cabinets, and it's hard to beat free.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    What's the power plant?
    The intake engine cooling fan and Muffler along with one blade of the propeller is visible in the drawing.
    ( engine inside the wing right behind the pilots head, and the propeller behind the wing )